The Bokan family marks one year of Boris Bokan’s imprisonment for opposing conscription into the Soviet army.
- Bokan, Nikolai, 1881-1942, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The Bokan family marks one year of Boris Bokan’s imprisonment for opposing conscription into the Soviet Army. The Bokan family is seen seated at a table covered in a cloth, on which cups and saucers have been placed.
Boris had embraced pacifist values, although unlike his father, his inspiration came from an interest in anarchism rather than religion. Boris spent over a year under arrest (1931-1933), first imprisoned in the Far East and subsequently in Konotop, near Baturyn.
In the mid 1910s, Nikolai Bokan was conscripted into the Soviet Army. As a result of his pacifist position, he was assigned the role of military photographer, which allowed him to avoid the handling of weaponry. From Nikolai’s memoir, we learn that he was disappointed that his son Boris had resisted conscription rather than striking a compromise similar to his own.
- 21 Сентября 1932 г. Первый год заключения Бориса в тюрьме за отказ от военной службы.
September 21, 1932. The first year of Boris' imprisonment for refusing to serve in the army.
- Date of Publication
- 21 Sep 1932
- Personal Name(s)
- Vasilinia Bokan ; Anna Bokan ; Konstantin Bokan ; Nikolai Bokan ; Aleksandr Bokan ; Lev-Leonid Bokan.
- Local identifier
- Nikolai Bokan
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 51.34567 Longitude: 32.87794
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Location of Original
- State Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine: https://ssu.gov.ua/ua/pages/98
- Any reproductions of images from the Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine must include the following reference: Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine, fonds 6, case № 75489-fp, volume 2.
Iнформуємо, що при публікації документів ГДА СБУ обов'язкове посилання на місце їх зберігання за зразком: ГДА СБ України, фонд 6, справа 75489-фк, том 2.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of the State Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine.