Boris Bokan is visited by his father and brother in prison, where he had spent over a year as punishment for opposing conscription into the Soviet army.
- Bokan, Nikolai, 1881-1942, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Boris Bokan (centre) is visited by his father, Nikolai Bokan (right), and brother Lev-Leonid (left) in prison, where he had spent over a year as punishment for opposing conscription into the Soviet Army. The trio are seen seated on the ground in a dirt enclosure surrounded by uncultivated plants. A straw bag lies beside Nikolai Bokan, perhaps used to carry the camera equipment and other provisions. All are wearing caps and are dressed for colder weather.
Boris had embraced pacifist values, although unlike his father, his inspiration came from an interest in anarchism rather than religion. Boris spent over a year (1931-1933) under arrest, first imprisoned in the Far East and subsequently in Konotop, near Baturyn. In a letter to Vladimir Chertkov, a prominent Tolstoyan, Nikolai Bokan claimed that his son received a longer sentence for the crime than was imposed elsewhere in Russia. After his arrest, when Bokan was asked about the letter under interrogation, he reportedly implied that the mentioned discrepancy in sentencing was rooted in discrimination based on nationality or social status
In the mid 1910s, Nikolai Bokan was conscripted into the Soviet Army. As a result of his pacifist position, he was assigned the role of military photographer, which allowed him to avoid the handling of weaponry.
- 4/X – 1932 г.
Посещение отцом и братом заключенного сопротивляющегося войне
October 4, 1932
Father and brother visiting the imprisoned [brother] who refused to serve in the army.
- Date of Publication
- 4 Oct 1932
- Personal Name(s)
- Lev-Leonid Bokan ; Boris Bokan ; Nikolai Bokan
- Local identifier
- Nikolai Bokan
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 51.34567 Longitude: 32.87794
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Location of Original
- State Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine: https://ssu.gov.ua/ua/pages/98
- Any reproductions of images from the Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine must include the following reference: Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine, fonds 6, case № 75489-fp, volume 2.
Iнформуємо, що при публікації документів ГДА СБУ обов'язкове посилання на місце їх зберігання за зразком: ГДА СБ України, фонд 6, справа 75489-фк, том 2.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of the State Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine.