Boris Bokan returns home after his seventeen-month imprisonment for opposing conscription into the Soviet Army.
- Bokan, Nikolai, 1881-1942, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Boris Bokan returns home after his seventeen-month imprisonment for opposing conscription into the Soviet Army. Boris stands in front of the gate to the family property, carrying a sack over his shoulder, and a suitcase and bucket in his other hand. He is dressed in warm clothing and wears a cap on his head.
Boris had embraced pacifist values, although unlike his father, his inspiration came from an interest in anarchism rather than religion. Boris spent over a year (1931-1933) in prison, first imprisoned in the Far East and subsequently in Konotop, near Baturyn.
In the mid 1910s, Nikolai Bokan was conscripted into the Soviet Army, although he assumed the role of military photographer to avoid the handling of weaponry, in line with his pacifist values. From Bokan’s memoir, we learn that he was disappointed that Boris had resisted conscription rather than striking a compromise similar to his own.
- Отбывший тюремное заключение за сопротивление войне. После 17ти месячного заключения –возвращение домой. 14. III. 1933 г.
The one who served a prison sentence for resisting the war. After 17 months of imprisonment, he returns home. March 14, 1933.
- Personal Name(s)
- Boris Bokan
- Local identifier
- Nikolai Bokan
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 51.34567 Longitude: 32.87794
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Location of Original
- State Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine: https://ssu.gov.ua/ua/pages/98
- Any reproductions of images from the Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine must include the following reference: Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine, fonds 6, case № 75489-fp, volume 2.
Iнформуємо, що при публікації документів ГДА СБУ обов'язкове посилання на місце їх зберігання за зразком: ГДА СБ України, фонд 6, справа 75489-фк, том 2.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of the State Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine.