An empty, broken-down farmhouse in Ukraine
- Wienerberger, Alexander, 1891-1955, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Book illustrations
- An empty farmhouse stands by the road, its roof disintegrating.
In his memoir, Wienerberger recalls visiting a Ukrainian village in the spring. “Es war einfach graussig; mir fehlen dir Worte, um das Entsetzen, das sich dem Beschauer bot, zu schildern. Die Hälfte der Häuser war unbewohnt ...[und] Ratten, die bei hellichtem Tage die herumliegenden ausgemergelten Leichen benagten. Die wenigen Überlebenden hatten nicht mehr die Kraft, ihre Toten zu beerdigen.” [It was just gruesome; I have no words to describe the horror that presented itself to the beholder. Half of the houses were uninhabited…[and]rats in broad daylight gnawed the emaciated corpses lying around. The few survivors no longer had the strength to bury their dead.](Hart auf Hart, p.185.)
- Photo taken between spring – late summer, 1933.
Photo source: Wienerberger, Alexander. Hart auf Hart. 15 Jahre Ingenieur in Sowjetrussland. Ein Tatsachenbericht; mit 52 Original-Leicaaufnahmen des Verfassers. Salzburg, Leipzig: Pustet, 1939. f.p.161.
Hart auf hart was Alexander Wienerberger’s memoir of his career as a chemical engineer and technical manager in the Soviet Union through most of 1917 – 1933. Three of the chapters deal exclusively with his period in Ukraine, where he was tasked with retrofitting and managing a factory in Kharkiv from autumn 1932 – late summer 1933.
As stated in the title, the memoir includes 52 of his photos; however, only those from Ukraine are included in this Directory. The book was initially serialized with 7 photographs in an Austrian newspaper, the Salzburger Volksblatt, as “Abenteuer in Sowjetrussland,” [Adventures in Soviet Russia] in late 1938.
For essays and a listing of originals and versions published through 1939 with their captions, see Related Features below photo and Home page menus.
- Caption: “Verlassenes Bauernhaus in der Ukraine, dessen Bewohner 1933 Hungers gestorben sind” [Abandoned farmhouse in Ukraine, whose inhabitants had died of starvation in 1933]
- Date of Original
- Date Of Event
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 11cm
Image Height: 8cm
- Local identifier
- Alexander Wienerberger: Beyond the Innitzer album
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.5 Longitude: 36.5
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Samara Pearce https://www.samarapearce.com/
- Recommended Citation
- Wienerberger, Alexander. Hart auf Hart. 15 Jahre Ingenieur in Sowjetrussland. Ein Tatsachenbericht; mit 52 Original-Leicaaufnahmen des Verfassers. Salzburg, Leipzig: Pustet, 1939. f.p.161. Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636253/data
- Location of Original
- Location of original photograph reproduced in this publication is unknown.
- Rightsholder requests that the name of the photographer, Alexander Wienerberger, accompany each authentic reproduction of his work.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of rightsholder Samara Pearce. Source: Book cited in NOTES above.