A young woman and a little girl sit at the edge of an outdoors stair landing while another woman walks up the stairs in Kharkiv
- Wienerberger, Alexander, 1891-1955, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Pamphlet illustrations
- A young woman sits leaning against the inside edge of a wooden stair landing, with a thin little toddler in a bonnet and dress, sitting beside her. It is not clear whether they are simply resting or begging. From behind, we see the lower-half of a woman in white stockings and somewhat flimsy white medium high heeled shoes and a dark suit. Neither the photo nor the caption reveals whether the woman had ignored the young mother and her child, or had stopped to speak to them or had assisted them in some way, before heading up the stairs.
Context note: The fate of Ukraine’s rural migrants in the cities
- Photo taken between spring – late summer, 1933.
Photo source: Luithle, Eduard, ed. Brüder in Not! Lasst Sie nicht verhungern! Bilder aus dem Leben der russlanddeutschen Kolonisten in Vergangenheit und Gegenwart. Berlin: Reichsausschuss Brüder in Not, 1934, p.12.
The title in English is: "Brethren in need! Don’t let them starve! Images from the life of the Russian-German colonists in the past and present." This is one of several “Brethren in Need” booklets produced in the early 1930’s by various primarily religious organizations in Germany and Austria. Their intent was to raise awareness and support for the many German colonies across Russia and Ukraine that were suffering from devastating famine conditions during the Holodomor years. The first half of the pamphlet describes earlier conditions of prosperity among the German colonies. The second half opens with images of decline and deportation, then death and starvation specifically in 1933 Ukraine. Although the text focuses on the fate of the ethnic German population, the captions to the Ukraine photos simply provide the date and a location or the subject of the photo. All 7 of the 1933 photographs were taken in and around Kharkiv by Alexander Wienerberger, although unattributed to him.
For related essays and a full list of original versions and those published through 1939, with captions, see Related Links on right.
- Caption: “Obdachlos und hungernd…im Jahre 1933” [Homeless and starving…in the year 1933]
- Date of Original
- Date Of Event
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 9cm
Image Height: 6cm
- Local identifier
- Alexander Wienerberger: Beyond the Innitzer album
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.98081 Longitude: 36.25272
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Samara Pearce https://www.samarapearce.com/
- Recommended Citation
- Luithle, Eduard, ed. Brüder in Not! Lasst Sie nicht verhungern! Bilder aus dem Leben der russlanddeutschen Kolonisten in Vergangenheit und Gegenwart. Berlin: Reichsausschuss Brüder in Not, 1934, p.12. Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636267/data
- Location of Original
- Location of original photograph reproduced in this pamphlet is unknown. The pamphlet is held by the Mennonite Library and Archives, Bethel College, North Newton, Kansas. Please contact them for any reproduction of the photos or other content beyond personal or research purposes.
- Rightsholder requests that the name of the photographer, Alexander Wienerberger, accompany each authentic reproduction of his work.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of rightsholder Samara Pearce. Scan courtesy of the Mennonite Library and Archives, Bethel College, North Newton, Kansas.