A famine victim lies dead against a cement barrier in Kharkiv
- Wienerberger, Alexander, 1891-1955, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Photograph albums
- Wienerberger presents a close-up view of a man whom he identifies as dead lying against an unfinished section of sidewalk or road. He is covered by his coat and has a bundle of some kind at his head, shielding his face. His outstretched leg is barefoot, with the ankle bandaged. Most likely from the countryside, he was one of countless migrants from the starving farms and villages who came to the city in search of employment or access to food, and found neither.
Context note: The fate of Ukraine’s rural migrants in the cities
- Photo taken between spring – late summer, 1933.
Photo source: Wienerberger, Alexander. Das Arbeiterparadies. U.d.S.S.R. (also known as the Red Album). Unpublished and undated album in the private collection of Samara Pearce. p.12b.
This personal album has a subtitle written on the inside of the front cover: “Proletarien aller Länder vereinigt euch!.... (im Massengrab.)” [Proletarians of all countries unite! ... (in the mass grave)]. Nicknamed the "Red" album because of its red cover, it contains photos from Kharkiv, Crimea, and Moscow taken 1933 through the winter 1933-1934. The Crimea and Moscow photos are not included in the Directory. They not only portray locations outside Ukraine’s political boundaries at that time but are primarily of a sight-seeing or personal nature.
For essays and a listing of originals and versions published through 1939 with their captions, see Related Features below photo and Home page menus.
- Handwritten caption on photo: “Hungerleiche auf der Strasse” [Body of a famine victim on the street]
- Date of Original
- Date Of Event
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 23
Image Height: 17
- Local identifier
- Alexander Wienerberger: Beyond the Innitzer album
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.98081 Longitude: 36.25272
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Samara Pearce https://www.samarapearce.com/
- Recommended Citation
- Wienerberger, Alexander. Das Arbeiterparadies. U.d.S.S.R. (also known as the Red Album). Private collection of Samara Pearce, n.d. p.12b. Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636303/data
- Location of Original
- Private collection of Samara Pearce. Please contact Ms. Pearce for reproductions from the original.
- Rightsholder requests that the name of the photographer, Alexander Wienerberger, accompany each authentic reproduction of his work.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of rightsholder Samara Pearce. Source: Private collection of Samara Pearce.