Two men walk by a store in Kharkiv with liquor bottles displayed in the window
- Wienerberger, Alexander, 1891-1955, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Pamphlet illustrations
- Two men walk past a series of storefronts. While one of the men looks at the display of liquor bottles to his right, the other directs his attention to the cluster of children standing on the sidewalk just ahead. As confirmed by many other sources, the captions to the two published versions shown here state that liquor was abundantly available. Moreover, acquiring liquor did not require ration cards, in contrast to food products.
The men’s clothing identify them as urban residents, as does the dress of the woman behind them. The man barely visible behind her, on the other hand, appears to be barefoot.
The cropped version of the photo (See http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636343/image/4219458 from Wienerberger’s memoir Hart auf Hart) shows only the liquor store with the two men walking by it.
- Photo taken between spring – late summer, 1933.
Photo source: Russland wie es wirklich ist! Wien: Vaterländische Front. 1934, p.11.
This 16 page pamphlet was written by Alexander Wienerberger and illustrated with 18 of his photographs, although no authorship was attributed for political reasons. A very valuable primary resource, it was one of the earliest known illustrated, detailed exposes of the famine in the context of Stalin’s brutal regime, and its publication was harshly denounced by the Soviet government.
For related photo, essays, and a listing of originals and versions published through 1939 with their captions, see Related Features below photo and Home page menus.
- Caption:“ Leeres Lebensmittelgeschäft. In der auslage nur Schnapsflaschen.” [Empty grocery store. Only liquor bottles are on display.]
- Date of Original
- Date Of Event
- Local identifier
- Alexander Wienerberger: Beyond the Innitzer album
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.98081 Longitude: 36.25272
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Samara Pearce https://www.samarapearce.com/
- Recommended Citation
- Wienerberger, Alexander. Russland wie es wirklich ist! Wien: Vaterländische Front. 1934, p.11. Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636343/data
- Location of Original
- Location of original photograph reproduced in this pamphlet is unknown.
- Rightsholder requests that the name of the photographer, Alexander Wienerberger, accompany each authentic reproduction of his work.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of rightsholder Samara Pearce. Source: Pamphlet cited in NOTES above.