Street scene in Kharkiv with a woman and a man on crutches in the foreground and a crowd of people in the background
- Wienerberger, Alexander, 1891-1955, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Book illustrations
- While a woman in coat and white scarf heads across the photographer’s field of view in the foreground, a man who appears to be an amputee heads away from the photographer on his crutches toward a crowd of people in the street in the distance. The location appears to be near a marketplace. The photographer, who frequently wrote of the overcrowded Soviet trams and resulting accidents, states that the man sustained his injury when a tram ran over his feet.
- Photo taken between spring – late summer, 1933.
Photo source: Russland wie es wirklich ist! Wien: Vaterländische Front. 1934, p.14.
This 16 page pamphlet was written by Alexander Wienerberger and illustrated with 18 of his photographs, although no authorship was attributed for political reasons. A very valuable primary resource, it was one of the earliest known illustrated, detailed exposes of the famine in the context of Stalin’s brutal regime, and its publication was harshly denounced by the Soviet government.
For related essays and a full list of original versions and those published through 1939, with captions, see Related Features on right.
- Caption: “Opfer der Tramway: Ein Mann, dem die füsse abgefahren wurden.” [Victim of the tramway: A man whose feet had been run over.]
- Date of Original
- Date Of Event
- Local identifier
- Alexander Wienerberger: Beyond the Innitzer album
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.98081 Longitude: 36.25272
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Samara Pearce https://www.samarapearce.com/
- Recommended Citation
- Wienerberger, Alexander. Russland wie es wirklich ist! Wien: Vaterländische Front. 1934, p.14. Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636345/data
- Location of Original
- Location of original photograph reproduced in this pamphlet is unknown.
- Rightsholder requests that the name of the photographer, Alexander Wienerberger, accompany each authentic reproduction of his work.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of rightsholder Samara Pearce. Source: Pamphlet cited in NOTES above.