A starving farmer tries to lean on an elbow as he lies near a house in Kharkiv (Death by starvation series, no. 2)
- Wienerberger, Alexander, 1891-1955, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Photograph albums
- Death by starvation series, no. 2. This is the second in a sequence of 4 photos which Alexander Wienerberger compiled into a brief series to portray how the starving people from the farms and villages ultimately succumb and die after finding no relief in the city of Kharkiv. The photographer states in his memoir Hart auf Hart, that the photos were taken across a period of 6 days, documenting the toll of starvation on the life of one particular farmer.
The farmer depicted in PD18 now lies in the vicinity of the same house, but seems to be in a very weakened state. His tattered coat is buttoned up to his chin, his hat and a can are visible near his left leg, and a walking stick lies under his left arm.
Please see PD18 for related context note.
- Photo taken between spring – late summer, 1933.
Photo source: Wienerberger, Alexander. Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933; also known as the Innitzer Album, 1934. p.18.
This is one of 25 photographs depicting life and death in and around Kharkiv during the Holodomor that the photographer put together in a small album with a handwritten title: Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933 [The Tragedy of Famine in South Russia 1933.] He presented the album to the Roman Catholic Cardinal Theodor Innitzer of Vienna in 1934 as an expression of appreciation for the Cardinal’s efforts in trying to organize an international campaign to assist the victims of starvation in 1933. The album is housed in the collections of the Diözesanarchiv, Vienna, Austria.
For essays and a listing of originals and versions published through 1939 with their captions, see Related Features below photo and Home page menus.
- Handwritten caption in album: "II."
Note: the first photo in the series has the caption: “Die Tragödie eines Bauern in vier Bildern. I.” [The tragedy of a farmer in four pictures. I.] See PD18.
- Date of Original
- Date Of Event
Width: 24 cm
Height: 13.8 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 10.8cm
Image Height: 7.9cm
- Local identifier
- Alexander Wienerberger: Innitzer album
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.98081 Longitude: 36.25272
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Samara Pearce https://www.samarapearce.com/
- Recommended Citation
- Wienerberger, Alexander. Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933: Album Presented by the Photographer to Cardinal Theodor Innitzer of Vienna. Vienna: Diözesanarchiv der Erzdiözese, . p.18. Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636387/data
- Location of Original
- Diözesanarchiv - Bibliothek, Vienna, Austria. Please contact this archive for official reproductions.
- Rightsholder requests that the name of the photographer, Alexander Wienerberger, accompany each authentic reproduction of his work.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of rightsholder Samara Pearce and the Diözesanarchiv - Bibliothek, Vienna, Austria.