Non-Holodomor: Large number of children pose in front of a small log building in Russia
- Liberman, Isaiah, 1885 -1921, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Pamphlet illustrations
- This photo was one of many documenting famine conditions taken in the Volga region of Russia in 1921-1922. They were later used in newsletters, pamphlets, postcards, and posters to raise awareness, garner sympathy, and raise funds, particularly in Western Europe, for the massive relief effort that was quickly organized in 1921 to help the starving regions of Russia and later, Ukraine. In this case, the Friends Emergency War Victims Relief Committee (FEWVRC),an official committee that existed 1914 -1924 as part of what is now the Quakers in Britain, used this image for one of a series of postcards to raise funds for Russian famine relief.
Information provided on the National Library of Norway (Nasjonalbiblioteket) original photo entry states: “Probably from Samara-album with dedication in Russian, French and German: To the suffering humankind's friend Fridtjof Nansen from ... Commission for relief to the Starving. Samara December 3, 1921.”
The main participants in the international relief effort were the American Relief Administration (ARA) chaired by Herbert Hoover and the International Committee for Russian Relief led by Fridtjof Nansen. The largest and most consequential by far was the ARA. Participants that coordinated with one or the other organization included, among others: the American Friends Service Committee and the Jewish Joint Distribution Committee from the US; and from Europe: the International Save the Children Union, Friends Emergency War Victims Relief Committee, and the International Red Cross.
Buguruslan was part of Samara Province in the lower Volga region of Russia in the 1920s.
- Photo taken 1921.
Source of postcard: Friends Emergency War Victims Relief Committee (FEWVRC) archive. ©Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in Britain.
Original photo available for viewing and download: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:No-nb_bldsa_6a129.jpg (confirmed authenticity by the National Library of Norway)
Caption: "Starving Muslim children in the town." For additional information about the photograph on the National Library of Norway site: http://nabo.nb.no/trip?_t=0&_b=NANSEN_ENG&_s=E&_n=0&_q=50&_l=www_eng_l&_r=M1078
Also available in thumbnail view with some descriptive text from the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C.
Both the photographer's name and the village location are misspelled.
Title is: "Bugurslan, Samara Province. Starving Moslem children from Collecting Station No. 17. These children have been lost or deserted by their parents"
Also available for viewing and download, with limitations, from the International Committee of the Red Cross, Audiovisual Archives: https://avarchives.icrc.org/Picture/9408
See also: Related Features on right.
- Text on postcard below the photograph reads: "Friends' Work in Famine Stricken Russia. A Group of Famine Children. Send your help earmarked Russia to Friends' Relief Committee, 27, Chancery Lane, W.C.2.
- Date of Original
- Date Of Event
- Personal Name(s)
- Nansen, Fridtjof
- Corporate Name(s)
- American Relief Administration ; Friends Emergency War Victims Relief Committee ; International Committee for Russian Relief ; Quakers in Britain
- Local identifier
- Select 1920s famine photos from Ukraine and Russia
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 53.6554 Longitude: 52.442
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Group of famine children postcard Russia, circa 1921-22. Friends Emergency War Victims Relief Committee (FEWVRC) archive: LSF FEWVRC PICS 7_11_2. ©Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in Britain.
Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636738/data
- Location of Original
- Original postcard: Group of famine children postcard Russia, circa 1921-22. Friends Emergency War Victims Relief Committee (FEWVRC) archive: LSF FEWVRC PICS 7_11_2. ©Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in Britain.
Original photograph: National Library of Norway, Oslo, Norway; Wikimedia Commons image is in public domain; however: " Please provide information about where the image was first published, who created it, and when the photographer died, if known. The right to be attributed does not expire in Norway."
- Contact Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in Britain for permission to use the postcard image for any purposes beyond personal use.
- Reproduction Notes
- Postcard reproduced with the permission of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in Britain; pending.