Innitzer album dedication page
- Wienerberger, Alexander, 1891-1955, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Photograph albums
- Alexander's dedication statement that appears on the inside of the front cover to an album with the title: “Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933.” [The Tragedy of Famine in South Russia 1933.]
In September 1933, Cardinal Theodor Innitzer of Vienna, the presiding Roman Catholic archbishop in Austria at the time, had created a widely publicized interfaith humanitarian relief committee to assist the victims of starvation in the USSR, particularly those in Ukraine and the German colonies in Russia. The Soviet government in Moscow, however, emphatically denied the existence of famine and the committee’s efforts were turned down. Nevertheless, Wienerberger compiled an album of 25 photographs depicting Kharkiv’s “tragedy of famine” which he presented, with his signature, as a token of appreciation to the Cardinal for his efforts.
Alexander's dedication statement appears on the inside of the front cover to his presentation album.
- Sr. Eminenz Kardinal Erzbischof Dr. Theodor Innitzer in dankbarer Verehrung gewidmet von Ing. A. Wienerberger. [dedicated to His eminence, Cardinal Archbishop Dr. Theodor Innitzer with grateful respect, from Engineer A. Wienerberger.]
- Date of Original
- Date Of Event
Width: 24 cm
Height: 13.8 cm
- Personal Name(s)
- Innitzer, Theodor
- Local identifier
- Alexander Wienerberger: Innitzer album
- Language of Item
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Samara Pearce https://www.samarapearce.com/
- Recommended Citation
- Wienerberger, Alexander. Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933: Album Presented by the Photographer to Cardinal Theodor Innitzer of Vienna. Vienna: Diözesanarchiv der Erzdiözese, . Dedication page. Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3644883/data
- Location of Original
- Diözesanarchiv - Bibliothek, Vienna, Austria. Please contact this archive for official reproductions.
- Rightsholder requests that the name of the photographer, Alexander Wienerberger, accompany each authentic reproduction of his work.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of rightsholder Samara Pearce and the Diözesanarchiv - Bibliothek, Vienna, Austria.