A person lies in a partially excavated area in Kharkiv with old factory buildings in the background
- Wienerberger, Alexander, 1891-1955, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- We see a bundled up person – perhaps a woman, lying in a partially excavated area. It is not clear whether the person is sleeping or is no longer alive. Possibly another person lies nearby at the street level of the excavation. Not far away, other people are visible - ,some seated some walking. The overall setting appears to be an old factory and commercial district of Kharkiv that at the time of the photo, was in considerable disarray. This is the type of area - off the busy thoroughfares - where many of the people from the starving rural villages, sought temporary shelter.
Migrants, the disadvantaged, and the homeless.
- Photo taken between spring – late summer, 1933.
Researchers in the 1980s have claimed that this photograph was originally in the possession of the Diözesanarchiv der Erzdiözese, Vienna. However, it is no longer in the archive. A photocopy of the original exists in archives of the Ukrainian Canadian Research and Documentation Centre, Toronto, Ont., Canada.
The photocopy has been reproduced, with a reference to the Innitzer collection at the Diözesanarchiv in Vienna, here: Famine-Genocide in Ukraine, 1932-1933: Western Archives, Testimonies and New Research, edited by Wsevolod W. Isajiw, Toronto: Ukrainian Canadian Research and Documentation Centre, 2003, f.p.97, and subsequently elsewhere in the last two decades.
There is no inscription or signature. Samara Pearce, great-granddaughter of Alexander Wienerberger and an expert on his photographs, confirms that the subject matter, location, and style all point to a very high likelihood of this photograph being taken by Wienerberger.
- Date of Original
- Date Of Event
- Personal Name(s)
- Wienerberger, Alexander
- Local identifier
- Alexander Wienerberger: Beyond the Innitzer album
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.98081 Longitude: 36.25272
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Samara Pearce https://www.samarapearce.com/
- Recommended Citation
- Wienerberger, Alexander. Photograph. Ukrainian Canadian Research and Documentation Centre, Toronto, Ont., Canada. Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3647860/data
- Location of Original
- Photocopy of original currently held by the Ukrainian Canadian Research and Documentation Centre, Toronto, Ont., Canada.
- Rightsholder requests that the name of the photographer, Alexander Wienerberger, accompany each authentic reproduction of his work.
- Reproduction Notes
- Scan of photocopy, courtesy of the Ukrainian Canadian Research and Documentation Centre, Toronto, Ont., Canada. Reproduced with the permission of rightsholder Samara Pearce and