Samara Pearce, great-granddaughter of Alexander Wienerberger
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Samara Pearce learned of her great-grandfather Alexander Wienerberger while at University. After writing her dissertation about his photography of the Holodomor, she continued to seek out and share information related not only to her great-grandfather and his photographs but about the Holodomor and its connection to the current war and life in Ukraine. Ms. Pearce has also had Wienerberger’s memoir translated into English as Hard Times and hopes to find a publisher.
An artist and photographer herself, she has incorporated Wienerberger's photographs into scenes of contemporary Ukraine, resulting in works of haunting and evocative complexity. Some of those works are shown in the article that includes her image in this record.
- Photo of Samara Pearce appears in the BBC Ukraine article: "'Це був геноцид': історія британської фотохудожниці, яка ширить пам'ять про Голодомор" ["It was genocide": the story of a British photographer who spreads the memory of the Holodomor] November 23, 2018. https://www.bbc.com/ukrainian/features-46142055
The article presents an interview with Samara Pearce about her great grandfather Alexander Wienerberger's photography of the Holodomor in Kharkiv as well as her own clearly articulated views on the genocidal legacy of the Holodomor within the current war waged by Russia in Ukraine. Several her photo collages are shown in the article.
- "Британська фотохудожниця Самара Пірс - правнучка австрійського інженера Александра Вінербергера, який у 1933 році сфотографував жертв Голодомору. Ці фотографії залишаються одним з небагатьох достовірних фотодоказів злочину, вчиненого сталінським режимом щодо мільйонів людей в Україні."
[British photographer Samara Pierce is the great-granddaughter of the Austrian engineer Alexander Wienerberger, who photographed the victims of the Holodomor in 1933. These photographs remain one of the few credible photographic pieces of evidence of a crime committed by the Stalinist regime against millions of people in Ukraine.]
- Date of Publication
- Date Of Event
- Personal Name(s)
- Pearce, Samara ; Wienerberger, Alexander
- Language of Item
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date
- Recommended Citation
- Photograph of Samara Pearce from:"Tse buv henotsyd": istoriya brytansʹkoyi fotokhudozhnytsi, yaka shyrytʹ pam'yatʹ pro Holodomor, Nov 23, 2018.BBC News Ukraine. https://www.bbc.com/ukrainian/features-46142055 Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3656726/data
- Contact UNIAN.