431 Waites Road
- Media Type:
- Historical Name: Waites Century Farm
Location of Property: 431 Waites Road
Legal Description: Concession 4 N Part Lot 10
Date of Construction: 1870
Heritage Status: Listed
Historical: This house is located on a farm that was part of a 200-acre Crown Patent in 1841 to John Sprung for all 200 acres of Lot 10, Concession 4. (Note: records indicate John acquired and moved to this property in 1826, only to find it mistakenly occupied by Aaron Hinman. *). In 1851, the northeast quarter was registered to Samuel Brook and then in 1858 and 1864 both the northeast and northwest quarters to George H. Brown, who in 1869 sold both parcels to Edgar Waite. (The Waite family had moved to the area in 1820*).
Edgar is believed to have built the house c. 1870 (MPAC records indicate 1895). Then in 1880 he granted it to Bartlett Gaddfield, who in turn sold it in 1886 to Wallace W. and Gilbert Waite. In 1935, it passed by executors’ agreement to Van R. Waite and then from his estate to the present owner, Jerry Van Waite, in 1987. In 1967, the farm was recognized as a Century Farm (the sign can still be seen on the garage door) by the Junior Farmers of Northumberland County. This recognition was extended to the owners of farms in the same family since Confederation. Albeit there were some name changes during the 100 years, they may have been family members.
Architectural: The Waite Farm House is a two-storey, L-shaped building. The recessed part features an open verandah, which covers the main entrance and a large window, is topped by a window and steeply-pitched, ornate peak. The front of the main part of the house has a lower three-window bay and two upper windows topped by a gingerbread decorated peak.
Most of the windows have green shutters matching a green steel roof. The exterior has been renovated extensively in recent years. The facade is aluminum siding, as are the soffits and fascia; most of the windows, two-over-two panes, are new.
In front of the house sits a huge erratic boulder with the name Waite inscribed.
Sources: MPAC; OLR Records; Chatten, Florence, Brighton Township, 2009, pps 46* and 50*
- Municipality of Brighton Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Brighton Digital Archives
Agency street/mail address
50 Chatten Road
Brighton, ON K0K1H0
c/o Catherine Stutt
1 Moran Drive