108 Main Street
- Media Type:
- Location: 108 Main Street
Legal Description: Plan 28 Lot 1 N/S Main and W/S Platt Sts
Date of Construction: 1852
Heritage Status: Listed
Summary of Cultural Attributes:
Historical: This house is located on a town lot that is part of a 200-acre Crown Patent in 1819 to David Rogers for all of Lo1, Concession 2. In 1849, the relevant lot was acquired by Charles Short and in the following year was sold to Sarah Platt (otherwise Short). The Platts are believed to have built the house in 1852 and in 1888 it was granted to Mary E. Platt. In 1896, the property went to William and Hattie Porte. In 1946, it was acquired from the Porte estate by John H. Fife. It stayed in the Fife family until 1967, when it was purchased by the Henry and Lillian Life, who kept it for the next 16 years. Ilse J. Schneider bought it in 1991.
Architectural: This red brick with white trim, 1 ¾ storey house has been partially renovated. In its early years it had a screened balcony over the front door, whereas today there is an exterior front vestibule that extends to the second floor. Further, the front windows have been altered and replaced (modern casement type that project out about nine inches). It has aluminum soffits and fascia.
Sources: MPAC; OLR Records; personal communication
- Municipality of Brighton Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Brighton Digital Archives
Agency street/mail address
50 Chatten Road
Brighton, ON K0K1H0
c/o Catherine Stutt
1 Moran Drive