632 Hansen Road
- Media Type:
- Historical Name: Stone School House SS#17
Location of Property: 632 Hansen Road
Legal Description: Con 4 Pt Lot 30 Plan 244 Lot 3
Description: Old school, now a house
Date of Construction: 1865
Heritage Designation: Listed
Summary of Cultural Attributes:
Historical: This house, which was formerly known as the Stone School SS#17, is situated on a one-acre tract that is part of a 200-acre Crown reserve, lot 30 Concession 4, that was patented in 1831 to the Canada Company. In 1840, the latter granted the south 100 acres to Hugh Montgomery, who in 1864 sold the relevant tract to school trustees; S. Terrill and L. Pickle. The school was built the following year by Tom Adams using field stone from the surrounding property.
The school was closed in 1966 and was sold by the Public School Board of Brighton Township for $800 to Helen Sullivan. In subsequent years it changed hands several times amongst various Sullivan family members and in 2002 was transferred to the present owner, Rebecca Sullivan.
Architectural: The old one-room school house is built largely of uncut field stone with concrete corners. At the present it has a red steel roof. It featured three windows on each side and two on the front bordering the main entrance (new windows are mainly six-over-six with brown shutters). Now there is a front exterior vestibule and additions on both sides near the rear and covering the two side windows. The structure features a bell tower (apparently, the bell was stolen in the 1960s) and the plaque bearing the SS#17 inscription and 1865 remains visible on the front side. The property has an old hand pump on the west side on the building.
Sources: MPAC; OLR Records; That's Just the Way We Were, 2006, p. 102; personal communication.
- Municipality of Brighton Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Brighton Digital Archives
Agency street/mail address
50 Chatten Road
Brighton, ON K0K1H0
c/o Catherine Stutt
1 Moran Drive