33 Kingsley Avenue
- Media Type:
- NOTE: Photo is in error and currently being corrected.
Location: 36 Kingsley Avenue
Legal Description: Plan 28 Pt Lots 2 & 3 RP 38R4193 Part 1
Date of Construction: 1880
Heritage Status: Listed
Summary of Cultural Attributes:
Historical: This house is located on a town lot that is part of a 200-acre Crown Patent in 1803 to Edward Goodyear for all of Lot 1 Concession 2. There were quite a number of changes in ownership as the land was divided. In 1882, Reverend Garrett J. Dingman and his wife sold what is believed to be the relevant lot to Elishis B. Purdy; given that the sale price was $1475, it is believed to have had a house, which would put the house at circa 1880 (MPAC data suggests 1900). It remained in the Purdy name until 1920, when it was sold to Cornelius K. Montgomery. In 1941, it passed from Cornelius' widow, Flora C. Montgomery to William H. Conn and then in 1944 to William J. Nesbitt, who later became owner of a commercial block on Main Street. In 1976, it went from the latter's estate to Eleanor N. Dewey. Thereafter, ownership changed several times and in 2010 was purchased by the present owner, Julia Marianne Teng.
Architectural: This red brick with white and greenish taupe trim, 1 ¾ storey house is Lshaped, the recessed part having a veranda that covers one window and the main entrance; the latter has side windows and a transom. Most windows are double-hung with six-over-six panes and are replacements. The gables have Romanesque windows, believed to be original.
Sources: MPAC; OLR Records; Brose Susan, The History of Brighton's Businesses 1816 to 2009; pps 360, 361.
- Municipality of Brighton Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Brighton Digital Archives
Agency street/mail address
50 Chatten Road
Brighton, ON K0K1H0
c/o Catherine Stutt
1 Moran Drive