193 Guertin Road
- Media Type:
- Historical Name: Thompson Farmhouse
Location of Property: 193 Guertin Road
Legal Description: Concession 5 Part Lot 3
Date of Construction: c. 1870
Heritage Designation: Listed
Summary of Cultural Attributes:
Historical: This 1 ¾ -storey, red brick farm house is situated on the northerly part of the north half of a 200-acre Crown Patent to William. Robert Shortt in 1803 for the full 200 acres of Lot 3, Concession 5. The north half comprising 100 acres was acquired by Robert Thompson in 1850 and he is believed to have built a frame house in 1852, just after Little Lake, which was just to the south, burst its bank and disappeared. The property remained in the Thompson family for several generations. The present house is believed to have been built in 1870 as a forward extension of an old house; the north wing was added in the early 1900s. In 1955, a Stanley Thompson and his wife sold it to William and Margaret Clark, and they in turn sold it to the present owners, John and Jill Guertin, in 1960.
In recent years, the barn, which was built in 1926, was used as an antique shop called Break Away Antiques.
Architectural: This 1 ¾ -storey house with red brick facade over a post-and-beam frame work, reflects Gothic Revival styling. It is L-shaped with a steeply pitched roof and gables. Most of the windows are arched except for a triple, Romanesque window with shutters in the front gable. It has a front porch.
Sources: MPAC; OLR Records; Brighton Historical Guide 2003 by Bonnie Brown; personal communication.
- Municipality of Brighton Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Brighton Digital Archives
Agency street/mail address
50 Chatten Road
Brighton, ON K0K1H0
c/o Catherine Stutt
1 Moran Drive