39 Prince Edward
- Media Type:
- Historical Name: Proctor House-Clarendon Hotel
Location: 1 to 9 Prince Edward Street
Legal Description: Plan 28 Lots 1 to 4 & 9 E/Pr Ed Lots 5 to 7 & 10 S/Dun and Concession A Part Lot 35
Property: Old Hotel and now a commercial building with residential upstairs
Date of Construction: circa 1885
Heritage Status: Listed
Summary of Cultural Attributes:
Historical: The Proctor House-Clarendon Hotel is situated at the corner of Young and Prince Edward streets on a plot of land that is part of a 200-acre Crown Patent to Ann Marsh in 1825 for all of Lot 35, Concession A, of then Murray Township. The west part of the lot was sold to John Singleton in 1834 and following the survey for Plan 28 in 1867 for Brighton, the relevant lots were acquired by Isaac C. Proctor in 1875, which included a building of the present street address Number 1. Isaac is believed to have added other buildings for number 2 to 9 but the entire block was destroyed by fire in 1887. The block was rebuilt and Number 1 suffered another fire in 1891. It was rebuilt again but architecturally slightly different than the rest of the block. The first mention of the block being the Proctor Hotel is 1894. Then in 1911, it became the Clarendon Hotel. Over the next 70 years, title to the property was assigned to different persons and in 1967 and 1968, descendants of Isaac Proctor granted the last portions of the block to Arthur C. Bryce. It was sold in 1976 to John Schneider, who kept it for 10 years. During the next decade, ownership changed several times and then in 1998 was acquired by 131110 Ontario Inc. It ceased being a hotel in 1950 and has since been used as stores on the ground floor and housing for the upper two floors.
Architectural: The red brick, three-storey building may be one of the first in Brighton to adopt then new technology (cast iron beam framework supported on a stone foundation) while still retaining architectural features of the period - round arched Romanesque windows on the ground floor and slightly arched windows for the two upper floors; modest pilasters; a prominent raised brick frieze and cornice (the frieze and cornice on the north part of the building are different that on the south part); and a flat roof. The two upper floors on the south part of the building also differ in that they feature three, three-window bays in wood framing. It has a flat roof with a fairly prominent cornice, accentuated by raised brickwork.
In recent years the façade and Romanesque windows on the ground floor have been totally changed to provide entrances for five commercial units.
Sources: MPAC; OLR Records; That's Just the Way We Were, 2006, p.174; Tobey, W, 1975, p.508.
- Municipality of Brighton Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Brighton Digital Archives
Agency street/mail address
50 Chatten Road
Brighton, ON K0K1H0
c/o Catherine Stutt
1 Moran Drive