202 County Road 30
- Media Type:
- Historical Name: Davidson House
Location: 202 County Road 30
Legal Description: Concession 2 Part Lot 1 and Part RD Allow RP 39R7148 parts 1 & 2
Property: Two-storey house
Date of Construction: Circa 1900
Heritage Status: Listed
Summary of Cultural Attributes:
Historical: This house is now located on a nine-acre tract that is part of a 200-acre Crown grant to Edward Goodyear in 1803 for all of Lot 1, Concession 2. Given that the property included a creek with high embankments and was on the edge of town, the initial grant was divided and sold in many smaller tracts and underwent many changes in ownership. The owners of this property included the Proctor, Sanford, and Davidson families. Although MPAC files indicate that a house was built in 1871, its architecture suggests circa 1900, which would mean that it was built for one of the Davidsons who owned the property until 1919. In 1923, it was purchased by Peter H. and Mildred Kilbank, who held the property until 1965 (nearby Kilbank Road is believed to have been named after this family).
Thereafter ownership changed several times and in 1983 it was purchased by Linton Heth who converted the house to the Butler Creek Country Inn. In 1995, it was acquired by Burkhart Friedrichkeit and Kenneth Basher, who operated the property as the Butler Creek B & B until early 2008, when it was purchased by the present owners, Frederick F. and Sandra. M. Piller, who have restored the house to a family residence.
Architectural: This large white frame, two-storey house is essentially Edwardian in style, with some special features. It has an ornate veranda on the front and side, and gables on the front (over a bay window) and on two sides as well as a dormer on the front. Some of the widows are simple one-over-one, some are one-over-two. The attic, first and second floors feature stained-glass arrangements and the front vestibule has the original etched glass. The exterior facade is original wood siding, albeit there is a 1970s addition on the rear covered in vinyl siding.
Sources: MPAC; OLR Records; Susan Brose, The History of Brighton Businesses 1816 to 2009, 2010, p. 137; personal communication.
- Municipality of Brighton Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Brighton Digital Archives
Agency street/mail address
50 Chatten Road
Brighton, ON K0K1H0
c/o Catherine Stutt
1 Moran Drive