15064 Telephone Road
- Media Type:
- Historical Name: Gibbard Farmhouse
Location: 15064 Telephone Road
Legal Description: Concession 4 Lot 7
Date of Construction: c. 1870
Heritage Status: Listed
Summary of Cultural Attributes:
Historical: This house is located on a 90-acre farm that is part of 200-acre Crown Patent in 1802 to John Simpson for all of Lot 7, Concession 4. The south 100 acres changed several times in the next few decades and in 1870 was acquired by William Gibbard, who is believed to have built the house almost immediately. Although MPAC records suggest the house was built only in 1895, the buildings for this property, owned by Wm. Gibbard, appear in the 1878 Northumberland County Atlas by Belden & Co. (It is the only sketch of a Brighton farm in the Atlas. The present house does not resemble the 1878 sketch, but the changes are believed to reflect renovations made following a fire about 2003.) The Gibbards owned the property until 1884, when it was acquired by Pettiah C. Russell, who owned it until 1962 when it went to the Veterans Land Act. In 1986, it was purchased by James W. Buck and then in 2002 transferred to the present owner, Elizabeth L. Buck.
Architectural: This greyish coloured, 1 ¾ storey house sits as a backdrop to a 100-yard-long lawn bordered on the east side by a lane way with a grove of tall spruce trees and apple orchard. The yard and outbuildings resemble those in the 1878 sketch described above.
Sources: MPAC; OLR Records; Northumberland County Atlas, Belden & Co., 1878. Pictorial Brighton, 1859- 1984, p.93; That's Just the Way We Were, 2006, p. 124-5.
- Municipality of Brighton Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Brighton Digital Archives
Agency street/mail address
50 Chatten Road
Brighton, ON K0K1H0
c/o Catherine Stutt
1 Moran Drive