720 Goodfellow Road
- Media Type:
- Historical Name: Woof Century Farm
Location: 720 Goodfellow Road
Legal description: Concession 8 PT Lot 30 Pt Lot 31
Date of Construction: 1880
Heritage Designation: Listed
Summary of Cultural Attributes:
Historical: The Woof House is situated on a 100-acre farm that is the west half of Crown Patent in 1839 to Iane Mason for Lot 31, Concession 8. The 100 acres were acquired by William Woof in 1855. Ten years later it was willed to his wife, Mary Woof, and his son, James Woof, who built a large house on the west side of Goodfellow Road. James was granted full title in 1888 and in 1908 it passed to his son, Clarence Aubrey Woof, and then in turn to his son, William D. Woof, and his wife, Violet Woof. They remain the present owners.
Architectural: The 1 ¾ storey house is built with a dark red brick that came from a nearby brickyard operated by Boyd Nelson. Its style is essentially Gothic Revival with an L shape. It features on the front of the main part of the house a lower floor, three window bay topped on the second floor by three windows - all six windows are Romanesque. There is a closed in porch on the L, topped by a steep gable containing a raised-brick gothic arch with keystone. All windows are two-over-two.
Sources: MPAC; OLR Records; Brighton Township, 2009, Florence Chatten.
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Brighton Digital Archives
Agency street/mail address
50 Chatten Road
Brighton, ON K0K1H0
c/o Catherine Stutt
1 Moran Drive