77 Chatten Road
- Media Type:
- Historical Name: Chatten Farmhouse
Location of Property: 77/87 Chatten Road
Legal description: Concession 4 Part Lot 2 RP 39R10937
Property: House (at 77 Chatten Rd.)
Date of Construction: 1875
Heritage Status: Listed
Summary of Cultural Attributes:
Historical: The Chatten House is situated on a 19 ½ acre tract that is part of a 200-acre Crown grant to James Mason in 1837 for all of Lot 2, Concession 3. The property was acquired by George Thorne in 1855 and then granted to Albert G. Thorne in 1888. The house was actually built in 1865 as a barn and subsequently converted to a two-storey house by the Thornes. In 1899 a second 1 ¾ storey house was built on the property. There are eight out buildings on the property as well.
In 1920, the entire farm was granted to Arthur Chatten and then in 1974 to James R. and Elizabeth Chatten. It remained in the Chatten family until 2006 when it was sold to Tracy Lynn and Lorne Moran.
Architectural: It is a plain, rectangular, two-storey house, presumably with post and beam construction and vertical pine boards as siding. When it was converted to a house, horizontal clap board was added and this was eventually covered or replaced by vinyl siding. It has no basement, just a partial crawl space.
Sources: PAC; OLR Records; Brighton Township, 2009, Florence Chatten.
- Municipality of Brighton Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Brighton Digital Archives
Agency street/mail address
50 Chatten Road
Brighton, ON K0K1H0
c/o Catherine Stutt
1 Moran Drive