14835 Telephone Road
- Media Type:
- Historical Name: Cedar Grove
Location: 14835 Telephone Road
Legal Description: Concession 3 Part Lots 9 & 10
Date of Construction: circa 1870
Heritage Designation: Listed
Summary of Cultural Attributes:
Historical: This house is located on a 118-acre farm is part of a 200-acre Crown Patent in 1801 to Edward Hicks for all 200 acres of Lot 9, Concession 3 and part of a 200-acre Crown Patent in 1805 to Mary Davis for all 200 acres of Lot 10, Concession 3. The house is believed to have been built circa 1870 by Daniel R. Bedell, who according to OLR records acquired Lot 9 in 1857. OLR records do not indicate he acquired Lot 10, but the Northumberland County Historical Atlas, Belden & Co., 1878, shows D. R. Bedell owned the northern two-thirds of both lots and a sketch of what was called the Cedar Grove house and a barn, owned by D. R. Bedell, located on the northeast corner of Lot 10. In 1901, the north parts of both lots were granted by Willet J. R. Bedell to William D. Caldwell. In 1925, both parts were acquired through executor grants by Nellie G. McVety. In 1946, the farm was purchased by Alonzo and Lionel Herrington and in 1982 passed from Lionel's estate to Earl K. Herrington. In 1999, the present owner, Kenneth H. Herrington became a co-holder.
Architectural: This beautiful 1 ¾ storey, red brick house with white trim is Gothic in style. It is L-shaped, with the main entrance (new door with sidelights and rounded transom) on the recessed part and topped by a steep gable containing a Gothic-like window, albeit the top is convex rather than concave. A similar gable and window are featured on the main part of the house. The front gable end of the house features two Gothic windows partially separated by a small round window just below the gable peak. All upper windows are one-over-one and believed to be original, as are the soffits. The lower floor windows are arched, with six-over-six panes and are new. The asphalt shingled, steeply pitched roof is marked by five wood finials that support lightning rods; two still have the metal spires and grounding cables.
Today the house closely resembles the 1878 Atlas sketch, except for the new front door etc and the absence of an original front veranda.
Sources: MPAC; OLR Records; Northumberland County Historical Atlas, Belden & Co., 1878; personal communication.
- Municipality of Brighton Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Brighton Digital Archives
Agency street/mail address
50 Chatten Road
Brighton, ON K0K1H0
c/o Catherine Stutt
1 Moran Drive