The Home Theatre/Crown Theatre @ 21 Prince Edward Street, Brighton
- Media Type:
- After a fire in January 1921, the Bank of Commerce had this building constructed starting in July 1921. The Bank opened there in March 1922.
From March 1922 to 1928, it was home to the Bank of Commerce. From 1929 to December 1, 1935, it was the location of the Royal Bank of Canada and featured a new safe weighing 6,500 pounds with three compartments and a time lock.
From January 1943 to February 1944 the congregation of the Church of the Nazarene called it home.
In October 1944 it became the Home Theatre, operating until 1956, when it became the Crown Theatre until 1959.
From 1969 to 1978, Clayton Farrow operated Clayt's Billiards in this location.
From 1978 to 1983 it was the Brighton Billiard Hall, and in 1984 Dr. E.W. Mound used it as his dental office, until 1999.
In 2005, Pay Day Plus moved in, and continues to operate there.
At the time of this entry the property, along with the Morrow Building next door at 23 Prince Edward Street is planned as the site of a Mac's Milk plaza, which will also incorporate the empty lot at the corner of Prince Edward and Elizabeth streets.
- Image and Text from The History of Brighton Businesses 1816 to 2009 by Susan Brose. To purchase the book, contact Susan at 613.475.1028 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The History of Brighton Businesses 1816 to 2009.
- Corporate Name(s):
- Bank of Commerce ; Royal Bank of Canada ; Church of Nazarene ; The Home Theatre ; Crown Theatre
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Brighton Digital Archives
Agency street/mail address
50 Chatten Road
Brighton, ON K0K1H0
c/o Catherine Stutt
1 Moran Drive