°Brose Collection
Page One
The History of Brighton Business 1816 to 2009
by Susan Brose


From the author's acknowledgements:

This 412 page book is a history of businesses that operated in the Brighton area before it was known as Brighton or was incorporated in the Township and Village. The collection of picture and information that was contributed to make this book a success will recall memories for many, and an opportunity for recent residents to see what our economy used to be and what it is today.

Image and Text from:
The History of Brighton Businesses 1816 to 2009 by Susan Brose.

To purchase the book - new price $20, contact Susan at 613.475.1028 or susanbrose@sympatico.ca.
The History of Brighton Business 1816 to 2009
The History of Brighton Business 1816 to 2009 Details
Stoneburg Livery Stables

Stoneburg Livery Stables was located on the site of the current LCBO on Park Street, Brighton. The office was located in a small building to the left. The two vans made regular trips to and from the harbour at Gosport to the Grand Trunk Railroad Station.

The livery also rented horses and buggies for private use. Standing in front of the van is Fred Stoneburg, proprietor,. The business was originally established by Henry Stapleton, and operated from 1909 to 1922. This photo is believed to be circa 1912.
Stoneburg Livery Stables, Park Street, Brighton
Stoneburg Livery Stables, Park Street, Brighton Details
Craig Brothers Livery
Craig Brothers Livery
Craig Brothers Livery Details
The Home Theatre/Crown Theatre

After a fire in January 1921, the Bank of Commerce had this building constructed starting in July 1921. The Bank opened there in March 1922.

From March 1922 to 1928, it was home to the Bank of Commerce. From 1929 to December 1, 1935, it was the location of the Royal Bank of Canada and featured a new safe weighing 6,500 pounds with three compartments and a time lock.

For more information got to "Details" under the photo.
The Home Theatre/Crown Theatre @ 21 Prince Edward Street, Brighton
The Home Theatre/Crown Theatre @ 21 Prince Edward Street, Brighton Details
York Road Cheese Company Ltd.

The York Road Cheese and Butter Factory operated from 1900 to 1927 on what was then Highway 2. Located east of Brighton near Smithfield, James Henderson won first prize in a Province of Ontario national competition.

In November 1940 it was destroyed by a fire believe to have started in the chimney and discovered by a passing motorist who notified Mr. A.L. Potts who lived across the road.

For more information go to "Details" under the photo.
York Road Cheese Company Ltd.
York Road Cheese Company Ltd. Details
Apple storage, Centre Street, at CNR

Barrels of apples waiting for shipment from cold storage, Brighton, by Canadian National Railway, destination probably overseas.
Apple storage, Centre Street, at CNR
Apple storage, Centre Street, at CNR Details
Sidney Cassan's Imperial Esso Station

immediately north of Highway 401 on County Road 30, Sidney Cassan welcomed customers to his service station at his grand opening on December 14, 1956. He operated the business until selling it in 1970.

For more information go to "Details" under the photo
Sidney Cassan's Imperial Esso Station
Sidney Cassan's Imperial Esso Station Details
Service Stations at Highway 401 and County Road 30

This location at the intersection of Highway 401 and County Road 30 was home to two service stations on the south side.

For more information go to "Details" under the photo.
Service Stations at Highway 401 and County Road 30
Service Stations at Highway 401 and County Road 30 Details
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit