Letter from Pte. Fred Griffis to Eliza J. Padginton
- Pte. Fred Griffis, Correspondent
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Eliza J. Padginton Collection, World War II Letters
- Eliza J. Padginton (1862-1961) served the Colborne community as postmistress for over 70 years, beginning her career in January 1883 as an assistant to the Postmaster of Her Majesty’s (Queen Victoria’s) Royal Mail. She sent newspapers to enlisted Cramahe men and women during the Boer War (1899-1902), World War I (1914-1918), World War II (1939-45), and the Korean War (1950-53). Cramahe Township Public Library holds over 200 letters written by World War II soldiers both abroad and in Canada.
(Argyris, Eileen. How Firm a Foundation: A History of the Township of Cramahe and the Village of Colborne. Erin, Ontario: Boston Mills Press, 2000).
- Date of Original
- 7 June 1942
- Local identifier
- 25le a-b
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.00012 Longitude: -77.8828
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Copyright Holder
- Copyright, public domain: Cramahe Township Public Library owns the rights to the archival copy of the digital image.
- Cramahe Township Public LibraryEmailcramlib@cramahetownship.caWWW address
Agency street/mail address6 King Street West
PO Box 190
Colborne, ON K0K 1S0