Letter from Bill Fowler to Eliza J. Padginton
- Bill Fowler, Correspondent
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Eliza J. Padginton Collection, World War II Letters
- Eliza J. Padginton (1862-1961) served the Colborne community as postmistress for over 70 years, beginning her career in January 1883 as an assistant to the Postmaster of Her Majesty’s (Queen Victoria’s) Royal Mail. She sent newspapers to enlisted Cramahe men and women during the Boer War (1899-1902), World War I (1914-1918), World War II (1939-45), and the Korean War (1950-53). Cramahe Township Public Library holds over 200 letters written by World War II soldiers both abroad and in Canada.
(Argyris, Eileen. How Firm a Foundation: A History of the Township of Cramahe and the Village of Colborne. Erin, Ontario: Boston Mills Press, 2000).
Comment from January 2014: "This letter is from a relative of mine...my Mom, Betty Haight (married name) was born and raised in Colborne..she just celebrated her 92nd birthday and resides at Extendicare in Port Hope. Her maiden name was Fowler and they lived in a large house on King Street in Colborne. Her father was Harry Fowler and her mother was Norma Fowler. Harry's father started a tobacco wholesale business in Colborne and originally he had a large apple orchard. My Mom can recall a lot of the Colborne history and the next time I visit her will ask some questions. Bill Fowler was my Mom's cousin and the son of Dr. Claude Fowler who was the local dentist. I will see what I can find to add to your Colborne history."
Comment provided January 2015: "I live in the original Fowler house in Colborne. The House was built circa 1830 by Orchard Fowler a loyalist from Connecticut who had the first pottery in upper Canada and currently is a bed and breakfast. There is a lot of history about the house and I have in the past connected with some of your relatives. Feel free to stop by when in town. www.colborneguesthouse.ca"
- Date of Original:
- Christmas 194(?)
- Local identifier:
- 42le a-g
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder:
- Copyright, public domain: Cramahe Township Public Library owns the rights to the archival copy of the digital image.
Cramahe Township Public Library
Agency street/mail address
6 King Street West
PO Box 190
Colborne, ON K0K 1S0