Charles Brown? in front of W.H. Edwards grocery store, Victoria Square, Colborne
- Mystery Question
- Do you know what year this photo was taken?[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type
- Item Type
- "Between (18 and 10 Victoria Square) were the show windows and traditional inset entrance of W.H. 'Whack' Edwards' grocery store." Originally quoted in Colborne Chronicle's 125th Anniversity heritage edition and reprinted in Eileen Argyris' How Firm a Foundation: A History of the Township of Cramahe and the Village of Colborne,Erin: Boston Mills Press, 2000, p.151.
A print of this glass negative was found in a photo album entitled Colborne 125th Anniversary Committee. Written on inside front cover of this: Reproductions of glass negatives and positives of Colborne, Ontario's past - early 1900's - belonging to Arnold Warren and the Wm. C. Griffis family. Developed by Wm. Bennett (cousin of Joan & Harold Harnden under the auspices of the 125th Anniversary Committee celebrating Colborne's 125th Birthday 1859-1984. Handwritten of the back of a print - 28gp - with the same person and scene reads: "Chas Brown?" A small tag reads: W.A.C Edwards Grocery (Bill Troops Grandfather)
The photo album was unstable and the prints were removed and are now located in a print storage box.
Advertising signage includes: Royal Household Flour, Kelloggs Corn, City Dairy Ice Cream, Campbells Soup, Toy Gust-o, Red Rose Tea
Partial view of another individual inside the grocery store.
Cramahe Archives does not have the original glass negative in its collection, but possesses a print and a high quality digital image.
- Date of Original
- Personal Name(s)
- W.H. 'Whack' Edwards
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.00012 Longitude: -77.8828
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Copyright, public domain: Cramahe Township Public Library owns the rights to the archival copy of the digital image.
- Cramahe Township Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address6 King Street West
PO Box 190
Colborne, ON K0K 1S0