Scougale of Scougale Brothers Ladies Wear standing on the steps of his storefront, Colborne
- Mystery Question
- Do you know what year this photo was taken?[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type
- Item Type
- See the publication - How Firm a Foundation: A History of the Township of Cramahe and the Village of Colborne in Cramahe's Digital Archives (3bk), p.153 for a brief reference to Scougale Bros. Ladies' Clothing Store.
Advertising signage, in part, reads: Special Agency The Empress Shoe for Women
Researcher's comment (November 2013):
If this is one of the Scougale brothers, it would pretty much have to be Adam Scougale (1859-1922). Judging by his clothes and apparent age in the photo, it looks to me like the picture was taken some time in the later 1910's or early 1920's. There were four "Scougale Brothers" at that time, Adam, John (1861-1932), James (ca. 1866-ca. 1927), and Andrew (b. ca. 1868, d. either 1927 or 1944, depending on which genealogy you accept). In 1891, Adam and James were working in "retail dry goods", Andrew was a bookkeeper, and John was a harness maker. I would guess that Adam, James, and Andrew were probably the brothers referred to in "Scougale Brothers Ladies Wear". All of Adam's three brothers were gone from Colborne by the early 1900's. In 1921, which I think is pretty close to when the photo was taken, all three were living in Dawson, Yukon Territory. Adam Scougale died of diabetes in 1922.
See the following for an example of Scougale advertising as it appeared in the 1910 Cramahe Agricultural Society Prize List:
(exhibit, lower left hand side)
http://vitacollections.ca/cramahelibrary/2704767/page/10 (catalogue record)
A print of this glass negative was found in a photo album entitled Colborne 125th Anniversary Committee. Written on inside front cover of this: Reproductions of glass negatives and positives of Colborne, Ontario's past - early 1900's - belonging to Arnold Warren and the Wm. C. Griffis family. Developed by Wm. Bennett (cousin of Joan & Harold Harnden under the auspices of the 125th Anniversary Committee celebrating Colborne's 125th Birthday 1859-1984). Handwritten on the back of print: "Scogule of Scogule Bros. Ladies Wear"
The photo album was unstable and the prints were removed and are now located in a print storage box.
Also see 358ph - a photographic print which shows the storefront of the Scougale Bros. company.
- Date of Original
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.00012 Longitude: -77.8828
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Copyright, public domain: Cramahe Township Public Library owns the rights to the archival copy of the digital image.
- Cramahe Township Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address6 King Street West
PO Box 190
Colborne, ON K0K 1S0