Yvonne Rice's dress
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Clothing & dress
- This white cotton child's dress measures 27 1/2' h. x 26" w. (cuff to cuff). Light weight tunic dress with lace detailing and a dropped waist. Square neckline. Floral motifs, especially below dropped waist. Closure on back has three pearl buttons.
- Yvonne Gertrude (1907-1986) was the daughter of Samuel Rice (1866-1935) and Sarah Ashby Rice (1872-1955). Mr. and Mrs. Rice married on 4 June 1902 in the county of York, City of Toronto by Rev. Wesley Down. They also had a son, Leslie Herbert (1903-1996). The family moved to a farm at Lot 30, Concession Broken Front, Cramahe Township in 1921. After the deaths of both parents, Leslie and Yvonne continued to farm. Leslie later married Ethel ?. The farm was south of Colborne on Lake Ontario. The St. Lawrence Cement Company started operations west of the Rice farm and eventually bought the farm. Leslie's widow, Ethel, donated a number of Rice family items a year after his death.
Colborne Heritage Site catalogue card: "T-0002 21.4.97 dress - white cotton child's dress 3 pearl buttons down back lace trim on collar & sleeves worn by Yvonne Rice as a child Donated by Mrs. Leslie Rice from estate of Leslie Rice 1997"
- Date of Original
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.00012 Longitude: -77.8828
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Copyright, public domain: Cramahe Township Public Library owns the rights to the archival copy of the digital image.
- Cramahe Township Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address6 King Street West
PO Box 190
Colborne, ON K0K 1S0