Scougale Bros. storefront, Colborne, Cramahe Township
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Cramahe Archives does not hold the original item in its archives, but has a photographic print.
- See the publication - How Firm a Foundation: A History of the Township of Cramahe and the Village of Colborne in Cramahe's Digital Archives (3bk), p.153 for a brief reference to Scougale Bros. Ladies' Clothing Store.
Researcher's comment (November 2013) about a glass negative - 6gp - which depicts Mr. Scougale:
If this is one of the Scougale brothers, it would pretty much have to be Adam Scougale (1859-1922). Judging by his clothes and apparent age in the photo, it looks to me like the picture was taken some time in the later 1910's or early 1920's. There were four "Scougale Brothers" at that time, Adam, John (1861-1932), James (ca. 1866-ca. 1927), and Andrew (b. ca. 1868, d. either 1927 or 1944, depending on which genealogy you accept). In 1891, Adam and James were working in "retail dry goods", Andrew was a bookkeeper, and John was a harness maker. I would guess that Adam, James, and Andrew were probably the brothers referred to in "Scougale Brothers Ladies Wear". All of Adam's three brothers were gone from Colborne by the early 1900's. In 1921, which I think is pretty close to when the photo was taken, all three were living in Dawson, Yukon Territory. Adam Scougale died of diabetes in 1922.
See the following for an example of Scougale advertising as it appeared in the 1910 Cramahe Agricultural Society Prize List:
(exhibit, lower left hand side)
http://vitacollections.ca/cramahelibrary/2704767/page/10 (catalogue record)
- Date of Original
- ca. 1910
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.00012 Longitude: -77.8828
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Copyright, public domain: Cramahe Township Public Library owns the rights to the archival copy of the digital image.
- Cramahe Township Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address6 King Street West
PO Box 190
Colborne, ON K0K 1S0