The Opera House
|Between 1870 and 1910, many Ontario communities built opera houses to present live theatre and entertainment events. Actors (and charlatans) appeared onstage in plays, musicals, and medicine shows. Built in 1906, Colborne's own Stephan Edwards designed the Victoria Opera House. Cramahe residents also enjoyed dances, New Year's Eve celebrations, and silent movies there. The Opera House's elaborate portico with its second story platform allowed performers an unrivalled stage and a sheltered entrance for visitors. This photograph may be one of the earliest of the building as shows the portico intact, unlike the other photographs in this exhibit.|
Exhibit, 1927 Movie, Victoria Opera House Details
This Victoria Opera House ad appeared in a 1927 issue of The Colborne Express to announce the latest John Barrymore movie.