Postcard of King Street storefronts including Griffis Druggist and Standard Bank, Colborne
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Photograph albums
- Fifty-eight photos and fifty-six photo postcards originally comprised a photo album believed to be owned by Gertie Mikle of Colborne, Ontario. Some of the postcards were cropped, showing partial images. The back of the photo or photo postcard will be included if there is an inscription or any other contextual information. The photographs were removed from the original photo album and the original order of the photographs and the pages is unknown.
Researcher’s genealogical notes about the Gertie (Gertrude) Mikle’s parents and grandparents – “Daniel Mikle (1849-1920) was listed in the Cramahe censuses in 1881, 1901, and 1911. In 1891 and 1893 he was living in Trenton. He died of heart failure in 1920 and is buried in Union Cemetery. At the time of his death he was living on Church Street and the 1911 census placed him more specifically on Reid Lot 119 on the north side of Church Street West, a property he and/or his wife owned from 1883 until sometime after 1921. Daniel Mikle was a labourer in 1881, a blacksmith in 1891, and 1901. The occupation listed in the 1911 census was “odd jobs’. His 1920 death record listed him as an apple picker. Daniel’s wife name was Ellen (ca.1851-?), but I haven’t been able to pin down her maiden name. They appear to have had a single daughter, Gertrude M. (ca.1886-?).” Daniel Mikle parents – “Peter Mikle (1797-1868) was a farmer from Prince Edward County, but several of his children he had with wife Abigail Chase (1812-1888) were…”
A September 2017 search of Cramahe Archives with Gertie Mikle’s name retrieved one mention – on page 8 of the Enterprise of East Northumberland 20 August 1903 noted that “Miss Ethel Clarke of Peterboro, is visiting her cousin Miss Gertie Mikle.”
The following comment about this block of businesses on King Street was made [February 2014]: "My Mom, Betty (Fowler) Haight made a list of the stores as she remembers them: north side....Bank, Griffis Drugs, Hawkins Clothing, Paper office (Gale), Mayhew Jewellery,! Johnson's Drugs, G.E.R. Wilson Insurance,Broomfield (barber), Brunswick Hotell, Lane, Coyles Store (Elmer), Grocery (Brown), Dr. McGlennon, Dr. Robertson, Lawyer Hall, Presbyterian Church."
See the publication - See the publication - How Firm a Foundation: A History of the Township of Cramahe and the Village of Colborne in Cramahe's Digital Archives (3bk), p.134 for a photograph of Frank Griffis behind the counter of his drug store and 235ne.
- Not stamped, posted or used.
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.00012 Longitude: -77.8828
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Copyright, public domain: Cramahe Township Public Library owns the rights to the archival copy of the digital image.
- Cramahe Township Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address6 King Street West
PO Box 190
Colborne, ON K0K 1S0