The Greeley Family (with research notes and references)
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Family histories
- The memoirs of Susan Burnham Greeley - this record includes research notes and references.
Memoirs of the pioneering life and times in the Cramahe Township area spanning from the late 18th through the 19th centuries are captured in the memoirs of Susan Burnham Greeley (1806-1904).
Her memoirs cite economical and personal challenges as extended family members travelled, often under duress, negotiating war, physical hardships and challenges before finally “settling” on an established way of life in a particular place.
When she was 91 years of age, Susan was asked to dictate her memories of settling in Cramahe Township for R.Z. Rogers of Grafton, a relative researching family history. She also drew on the recollections of her mother, Margaret Rogers (1776-1866).
Hers is a rich information trove to expand our understanding, not only local, but also of North American history. There are several document files included in this exhibit:
• the transcript of Susan Greeley’s 1901 memoirs;
• the Susan Greeley transcript annotated with further research to aid in understanding details and context;
• a biography of Susan Burnham Greeley by Eileen Argyris published in 2000 in the book of Cramahe Township history, “How Firm A Foundation”, which includes a photograph of Susan Burnham Greeley;
• a biography of Aaron Greeley Jr. (1773-1821), Susan’s father, written by Percy Climo (1906-1991) first published in 1926; and
• a transcription of a note listed burial sites of some Rogers and Greeley family members.
It is important to note that the references to indigenous communities in these documents do not reflect the values of Cramahe Township Public Library or its Archives. The language of Susan Greeley’s memoir is written in the context of her interpretations and values at the turn of the 18th century. Her truth is but one where other actors involved also have their own truth, interpretation and history. There are two documents associated with this record - the first one is 33-page document by Susan Burnham Greeley (1806-1904) and the second one is a four page document about Aaron Greeley (1773-1821).
- Local identifier:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Cramahe Township Public Library
Agency street/mail address
6 King Street West
PO Box 190
Colborne, ON K0K 1S0