The Founding of Colborne, Ontario Heritage Trust – Colborne Plaques
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Click on the Select arrow for Pages to see the French translation of this text. The Pages box is located at the top of the page.
- The plaque is located in Victoria Square Park, Colborne.
- "A store established here about 1819 by Joseph Abbott Keeler, a prominent early settler, provided the nucleus around which a small community began to develop. Within ten years a distillery and a blacksmith's shop had been erected. The settlement, named Colborne reputedly after Lieutenant Governor Sir John Colborne, soon emerged as a service centre for the surrounding region and, with the establishment of a harbour nearby for the shipment of lumber and grain, it prospered. By 1846 it contained a foundry, a pottery, six stores, three churches, and a number of tradesmen and artisans and some 400 residents. The arrival of the Grand Truck Railway in 1856 spurred further growth, and three years later Colborne, with a population of about 800, became incorporated as a village."
- Local identifier:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Cramahe Township Public Library
Agency street/mail address
6 King Street West
PO Box 190
Colborne, ON K0K 1S0