Old St. Andrew's Church, Ontario Heritage Trust – Colborne Plaques
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Click on the Select arrow for Pages to see a photo of the church. The Pages box is located at the top of the page.
- "This church, built of local stone, was begun in 1830 on land acquired by the Presbyterian congregation from Joseph A. Keeler, a prominent local merchant. It was designed by Archibald Fraser, a Scottish architect builder, in a plain and classically proportioned Georgian style and, upon completion in 1833, services were held under the direction of the Reverend Matthew Miller. Later in the century the interior was recast and a new roof featuring projecting eaves supported by paired brackets was added giving the building a decidedly Italianate character. In 1910-11 the original tower was heightened, a belfry constructed and a hall housing the Sunday School erected at the rear. Little altered since then, St. Andrew's remains one of the oldest surviving Presbyterian churches in Ontario."
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Cramahe Township Public Library
Agency street/mail address
6 King Street West
PO Box 190
Colborne, ON K0K 1S0