Photograph of a parade on King Street, Colborne Women's Institute Scrapbook
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Cramahe Archives have four Women's Institute [WI] Scrapbooks in its collections. The WI scrapbooks contain diverse subject material about Colborne and Cramahe. All four WI scrapbooks have been scanned page by page. The scrapbooks can be accessed by going to the "Browse by Subject" option on the Cramahe Archives home page and scrolling to the bottom of the subject terms to locate "Women's Institute Scrapbooks" and then click on this link.
This print appears on page 47 (one of four images that appears on the page) in the Women's Institute scrapbook - the local identifier number for this particular scrapbook is 3sb. Original photographs included in this Women's Institute scrapbook have had individual records created for them, greatly increasing their accessibility for searching under general keyword terms.
To access the WI scrapbook by using its local identifier number go to - "Advanced Search" (on the Cramahe Archives home page), enter "3sb" in the keyword search box and then click the radial button on the bottom of the "Fields to Search: Local Identifier," scroll down and click "Go"
This WI scrapbook was created by Mrs. Gordon MacGregor and Mrs. T.M. Gresham.
- The Jun 1959 mark on the top of the photograph identifies this reprint as likely one of the ca. 1910 negatives that were found in Griffis' Drug Store.
Typed on page 28, Women's Institute Scrapbook: "Colborne about 1910" "When Griffis' Drug Store was being remodelled in 959, a number of old negatives were found. Bill Griffis had some of them printed for the Tweedsmuir History. Unfortunately not many of them are identified..."
The Hotel Bristol is in the right hand background of the photograph. Bailey's storefront is beside it.
The Cobourg Star, 30 Aug 1974 article and The Colborne Chronicle, 30 Aug 1974 article "Looking Backwards: Colborne in 1903" notes that the Hotel Bristol changed its name in 1903 but a 1910 ad in the 1910 Cramahe Agricultural Society Fair, Prize List, Castleton shows that the establishment was still called the Hotel Bristol. It was run by Mr. G.M. Teasdale.
- Written on WI scrapbook page 47 (which features four images): "Colborne Then and Now" "Pictures contributed by Mrs. Maude Kirk and Charles Brown."
- Date of Original:
Width: 15 in
Height: 12 in
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Copyright Holder:
- Copyright, public domain: Cramahe Township Public Library owns the rights to the archival copy of the digital image.
Cramahe Township Public Library
Agency street/mail address
6 King Street West
PO Box 190
Colborne, ON K0K 1S0