Newspaper clipping of photo postcard of Percy Street, Colborne Women's Institute Scrapbook
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Newspaper clippings
- Cramahe Archives have four Women's Institute [WI] Scrapbooks in its collections. The WI scrapbooks contain diverse subject material about Colborne and Cramahe. All four WI scrapbooks have been scanned page by page. The scrapbooks can be accessed by going to the "Browse by Subject" option on the Cramahe Archives home page and scrolling to the bottom of the subject terms to locate "Women's Institute Scrapbooks" and then click on this link.
This print appears on page 39 in the Women's Institute scrapbook - the local identifier number for this particular scrapbook is 3sb. Original photographs included in this Women's Institute scrapbook have had individual records created for them, greatly increasing their accessibility for searching under general keyword terms.
To access the WI scrapbook by using its local identifier number go to - "Advanced Search" (on the Cramahe Archives home page), enter "3sb" in the keyword search box and then click the radial button on the bottom of the "Fields to Search: Local Identifier," scroll down and click "Go"
This WI scrapbook was created by Mrs. Gordon MacGregor and Mrs. T.M. Gresham.
- 5 January 1977 newspaper clipping, likely the Colborne Chronicle entitled "How Colborne looked at the Turn of the Century." Newspaper caption reads: "Yesteryear -- Percy St. looking north was a dusty road in Colborne just after 1900, in this photo from an old postcard. That is the Standard Bank on the corner where the Corner Snack Bar is located, next door to Griffis' Drug Store (now Downey's Pharmacy). The Griffis store stayed in the family until it became Downey's three years ago. Also a change of recent years was the removal of the third-storey from the business block."
Written on WI scrapbook page 39: "Clipping donated by Vi Bellamy, June 1984. Note evergreens in park."
The proper name of the bank was the Standard Bank of Canada.
Colborne Women's Institute, Founded March 1, 1932, Tweedsmuir History Started 1947 in Honour of the Women's Institute 50th Anniversary; Ellen, Mrs. Gordon MacGregor, Curator 1947; Amy, Mrs. T.M. Gresham
- Printed lower left corner: "Percy Street, Colborne, Ontario"
Width: 15 in
Height: 12 in
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.00012 Longitude: -77.8828
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Copyright, public domain: Cramahe Township Public Library owns the rights to the archival copy of the digital image.
- Cramahe Township Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address6 King Street West
PO Box 190
Colborne, ON K0K 1S0