Class photograph, Rutherford's School, School Section 20, Cramahe Township
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Information provided by Lenna Broatch (March 2020):
Location: Con. 5, Lot 29, east on County Road 25 on the corner of County Road 21 and Maple Grove Road. Today this school is a family home with numerous additions.
Significant history: Emma C. Richardson sold 1/2 acre lot to school trustees in 1874 and 1875. The trustees at that time were Ed Sxarlett, James Merriman and John Eyre. The school closed in 1961 and students moved to South Cramahe School on Purdy Road, Cramahe Township. Mrs Mabel Graham was the last teacher. Note the wood pile at the back of the school.
Undated photo - possibly 1920s - the boys appear to be wearing plus fours which became quite popular in the 1920s.
- Argyris, Eileen. How Firm a Foundation: A History of the Township of Cramahe and the Village of Colborne. Erin, Ontario: Boston Mills Press, 2000. See Chapter 8 - 'Dear Old Golden Rule Days'
See Colborne Women's Institute Scrapbook 2sb, pp.1-4 for essay about Colborne's first public school.
Cramahe Archives does not hold the original item in its archives, but has a digital image.
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.00012 Longitude: -77.8828
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Copyright, public domain: Cramahe Township Public Library owns the rights to the archival copy of the digital image.
- Cramahe Township Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address6 King Street West
PO Box 190
Colborne, ON K0K 1S0