A stone facade is being installed at the private residence, the former School Section 14 Black's School, 109 Pipeline Road, Cramahe Township in June 2018. Details
The Village of Colborne was a separate municipality until it amalgamated with the rural Cramahe Township in the year 2000 under the name of Cramahe Township. There were at one time 15 public schools in Cramahe Township and two in the Village of Colborne (an elementary and eventually also a secondary school). In 2018, there are two elementary schools in Cramahe Township. The secondary public school is located in the Municipality of Brighton. Black’s School served school section 14 of Cramahe Township and was thus originally known as S.S. 14 which also served students from section 15.
For context, former elected public school board trustee Clarence McKague explained in “The History of Cramahe Township”, published in 1988 by the township, that during the 19th century, the township was divided into 26 school sections (abbreviated S.S.) of about 1,700 acres each, situated so that children living in each should have no more than two miles to walk to school. Sections 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 15 19 and 25 never had schools, presumably because the populations of those sections did not warrant one.
The following is a transcript of a photocopy of a 1940 handwritten memoir by J. E. McCullough outlining the history of Black’s School located at 109 Pipeline Road, Concession 6, Lot 35 of Cramahe Township. The photocopied document is located in the Cramahe Township Archives.