A cenotaph in memory of the local fallen of the Second World War was unveiled and dedicated on Sunday afternoon, October 24, 1948. The light grey granite stele was erected in Victoria Square Park by the Ladies’ Auxiliary of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 187.
A parade, under the direction of Angus Duffy, Belleville, formed at Memorial Park and marched to Victoria Square Park in the following order: Colour Party, RCAF Band of Trenton, Colborne Legion members, Cobourg Legion members, 33rd Medium Regiment Band, Brighton Legion, Legion members from other branches, Ladies’ Auxiliary, Colborne High School cadets, Salvation Army Band, Boy Scouts and Cubs, and school children.
The master of ceremonies was A.D. Hall. Guests on the speaker’s platform were: Major the Rev. John W. Foote, Victoria Cross; Captain Charles S. Rutherford, Victoria Cross, Military Cross, Military Medal; Major R. Earle Drope, Military Medal, Member of Parliament; the Rev. Roy Rickard, MRE, Master Corporal; the Hon. W.A. Goodfellow, Minister of Welfare; the Rev. A.N. Reid; the Rev. J.W. Culley; Legion Zone Commander Roy Service; Colborne Legion Branch 187 President A.R. Harvey; Branch 187 Ladies’ Auxiliary President Ada Warner; and Miss Eliza J. Padginton, a faithful friend to servicemen of three wars.
Two months later the cenotaph was destroyed beyond repair by a car during the early hours of Wednesday, December 8. Soon thereafter, it was rebuilt.
In the mid-1990s a stylized maple leaf with the inscription KOREA 1950 – 1953 below the leaf was added to the back of the cenotaph by the local branch of the Royal Canadian Legion.
In 2014, the Cenotaph Restoration Committee oversaw the cleaning and refurbishment of both the First World War and Second World War Cenotaphs. A concrete pad was placed in a rectangular shape around both monuments and paving stones, furniture, planters, and lighting were added. The fountain separating the two cenotaphs was upgraded. The new walkways are rimmed with memorial paving stones purchased by families and friends of people they wish commemorated.
The project was funded by Veterans Affairs Canada, with donations from the public and the Township of Cramahe to cover the project's cost of $60,000. The two Colborne war cenotaphs were rededicated on May 22, 2016.
By Priscilla Giroux (VAC/ACC)