What's New

list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Photograph of Village of Colborne Council
    Image       Left to right: Reg Turk, Harold Harnden, Peter Davis, Burt Davey, Walter Rutherford and Reeve, Delbert McLaughlin.
    Image     Left to right: Reg Turk, Harold Harnden, Peter Davis, Burt Davey, Walter Rutherford and Reeve, Delbert McLaughlin.
  • Photograph of McLaughlin family, Colborne
    Image       McLaughlin family members at Colborne farm 1948 Back row, left to right: Jean (McLaughlin) and Syd Cassan, Clare and Elsie McLaughlin, Henrietta McLaughlin, Chris and James McLaughlin, Marie and Ray McLaughlin, Doris and Delbert McLaughlin. Front row, left to right: Robert and Arlis McLaughlin.
    Image     McLaughlin family members at Colborne farm 1948 Back row, left to right: Jean (McLaughlin) and Syd Cassan, Clare and Elsie McLaughlin, Henrietta McLaughlin, Chris and James McLaughlin, Marie and Ray ...
  • Photograph of 1959 Colborne Recreation Committee
    Image       Back row, left to right: Delbert McLaughlin, George Latimer, Bernard Fox, Irvine Post and John Cotter (?) Front row, left to right: Francis McDonald, Lola Fox and Isabelle Ring.
    Image     Back row, left to right: Delbert McLaughlin, George Latimer, Bernard Fox, Irvine Post and John Cotter (?) Front row, left to right: Francis McDonald, Lola Fox and Isabelle Ring.
  • Sketch of King Street East residence, Colborne
    ImageText       Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, May 12, 2001 King Street East, Colborne Sketch and text by Barry King "Thought to have been built about 1875 when early records indicate that $5,000 was spent on the property, this fine brick house on King Street East [number 69] in Colborne belies its age. ...
    ImageText     Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, May 12, 2001 King Street East, Colborne Sketch and text by Barry King "Thought to have been built about 1875 when early records indicate that $5,000 ...
  • Sketch of Trinity Church, Colborne
    ImageText       Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, April 21, 2000 Trinity Church, Colborne Sketch and text by Barry King "The first Anglican place of worship in Colborne was a log schoolhouse on Division Street where services were conducted by travelling missionaries as early as 1836. A meeting in 1843 led to the building ...
    ImageText     Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, April 21, 2000 Trinity Church, Colborne Sketch and text by Barry King "The first Anglican place of worship in Colborne was a log schoolhouse on Division ...
  • Sketch of Thornton House, Colborne
    ImageText       Thornton House, Colborne Sketch by Barry King "Built in 1810, this is reputed to be the oldest home in Colborne. Built in the Georgian tradition at 3 King Street West with a central hall plan, the house is thought to have been constructed in two stages, with an eight-foot-square chimney ...
    ImageText     Thornton House, Colborne Sketch by Barry King "Built in 1810, this is reputed to be the oldest home in Colborne. Built in the Georgian tradition at 3 King Street West ...
  • Sketch of the former Purdy Milling Company, Castleton
    ImageText       Saturday Morning Post, Cobourg, November 18, 1989 The Purdy Milling Company Sketch and text by Barry King "Standing tall and quiet, the old Purdy Mill casts long thoughtful shadows across the road that finds its way to Castleton [County Road 25 in 2018]. Amid autumn’s misty amber days, the venerable ...
    ImageText     Saturday Morning Post, Cobourg, November 18, 1989 The Purdy Milling Company Sketch and text by Barry King "Standing tall and quiet, the old Purdy Mill casts long thoughtful shadows across ...
  • Sketch of the former Land Registry Office, Colborne
    ImageText       Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, September 8, 2001 The Land Registry Office, Colborne Sketch and text by Barry King "Dating from the 1850s, the Colborne Registry Office was charged with collecting and keeping safe, behind its barred windows, all the property transactions of East Northumberland. When the records were consolidated at ...
    ImageText     Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, September 8, 2001 The Land Registry Office, Colborne Sketch and text by Barry King "Dating from the 1850s, the Colborne Registry Office was charged with collecting ...
  • Sketch of Doyle House, Castleton
    ImageText       Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, January 26, 2002 The Doyle House, Castleton Sketch and text by Barry King "Just north of the old Cramahe Township Hall on Percy Street in Castleton stands a charming red-brick home in the familiar Ontario Gothic style. Of particular interest is the unusually paned Gothic-arched window ...
    ImageText     Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, January 26, 2002 The Doyle House, Castleton Sketch and text by Barry King "Just north of the old Cramahe Township Hall on Percy Street in Castleton ...
  • Sketch of Simmons Block, Colborne
    ImageText       Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, July 20, 2002 Simmons Block, King Street East, Colborne Sketch and text by Barry King "David Lewis Simmons was one of the so-called Late Loyalists who came to Upper Canada after 1790. He was encouraged by then-land agent Joseph Keeler, the father of the founder of ...
    ImageText     Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, July 20, 2002 Simmons Block, King Street East, Colborne Sketch and text by Barry King "David Lewis Simmons was one of the so-called Late Loyalists who ...
  • Sketch of the former Russ' School, S.S. No. 20, Cramahe Township
    ImageText       Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, September 21, 2001 Russ’ School, S.S. No. 20 Sketch and text by Barry King "Located in the seventh concession of the former Haldimand Township, the first Russ’ School was built about 1845 when the school district was first organized. It was a frame or log structure ...
    ImageText     Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, September 21, 2001 Russ’ School, S.S. No. 20 Sketch and text by Barry King "Located in the seventh concession of the former Haldimand Township, the first ...
  • Sketch of the former Red Cloud School, Cramahe Township
    ImageText       Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, September 24, 2004 Red Cloud Schoolhouse Sketch and text by Barry King "Until the summer of 1993, Red Cloud Schoolhouse was the oldest of Cramahe Township’s school buildings still standing. Although the date of its construction is uncertain, the will of Charles H. Bull in 1874 ...
    ImageText     Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, September 24, 2004 Red Cloud Schoolhouse Sketch and text by Barry King "Until the summer of 1993, Red Cloud Schoolhouse was the oldest of Cramahe Township’s ...
  • Sketch of the former Oriental Hotel, Castleton
    ImageText       Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, June 28, 2001 The Oriental Hotel, Castleton Sketch and text by Barry King "Built by Timothy S. Giroux, a hotelkeeper from Norham, the Oriental Hotel has dominated the northeast corner of Spring and Percy Streets in Castleton since 1890. Although its projecting balcony has been enlarged ...
    ImageText     Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, June 28, 2001 The Oriental Hotel, Castleton Sketch and text by Barry King "Built by Timothy S. Giroux, a hotelkeeper from Norham, the Oriental Hotel has ...
  • Sketch of the former Castleton Town Hall
    ImageText       Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, August 31, 2002 The old Cramahe Township Town Hall Sketch and text by Barry King "The pride of Castleton, this well-proportioned building resembles a temple in design. Dominated by the grand arched entranceway, the front façade is patterned with several masterful examples of the bricklayer’s art. ...
    ImageText     Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, August 31, 2002 The old Cramahe Township Town Hall Sketch and text by Barry King "The pride of Castleton, this well-proportioned building resembles a temple in ...
  • Sketch of Keeler House, Colborne
    ImageText       Port Hope Evening Guide, Saturday, March 2, 2002 The Keeler House, Colborne Sketch and text by Barry King "To those familiar with the Barnum House Museum, located on County Road 2 in Grafton, Keeler House on Church Street East in Colborne would appear to be its twin. Built about the ...
    ImageText     Port Hope Evening Guide, Saturday, March 2, 2002 The Keeler House, Colborne Sketch and text by Barry King "To those familiar with the Barnum House Museum, located on County Road ...
  • Photograph of Sharon school students, 1907-08, Cramahe Township
    Image       This image was scanned from the publication - How Firm a Foundation: A History of the Township of Cramahe and the Village of Colborne in Cramahe's Digital Archives (3bk), p.75. The caption reads: "Sharon School, 1907-08: Back, from left: Teacher John Gummer, Ed Cochrane, Lloyd Chapman, Mary Cooper, Florence Ireland, ...
    Image     This image was scanned from the publication - How Firm a Foundation: A History of the Township of Cramahe and the Village of Colborne in Cramahe's Digital Archives (3bk), p.75. ...
  • Sketch of Cumming House, Colborne
    ImageText       Sketch by Barry King "Named for Cuthbert Cumming, a retired Hudson’s Bay trader, and his wife, Jane, who purchased this property on May 5, 1845, the residence at 7 King Street West in Colborne was built in the 1830s. It is a Georgian-styled Ontario Cottage with wide eave overhangs. The ...
    ImageText     Sketch by Barry King "Named for Cuthbert Cumming, a retired Hudson’s Bay trader, and his wife, Jane, who purchased this property on May 5, 1845, the residence at 7 King ...
  • Sketch of Christie Mills, Colborne
    ImageText       The Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, June 21, 2003 Sketch and text by Barry King "If these old stones could talk, they would speak of the story of early settlement along the shores of Lake Ontario, and of the beginnings of the communities of Lakeport and Colborne. The old ruins of ...
    ImageText     The Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, June 21, 2003 Sketch and text by Barry King "If these old stones could talk, they would speak of the story of early settlement along ...
  • Sketch of Castleton United Church
    ImageText       Colborne Chronicle, Thursday, January 11, 2001 Sketch and text by Barry King "Though the present brick church was dedicated in 1865 after an extensive remodeling, its origins date from 30 years earlier in its original frame structure. With the elevating of the building, the addition of a basement, new choir ...
    ImageText     Colborne Chronicle, Thursday, January 11, 2001 Sketch and text by Barry King "Though the present brick church was dedicated in 1865 after an extensive remodeling, its origins date from 30 ...
  • Sketch of Castleton store
    ImageText       Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, May 25, 2002 Sketch and text by Barry King "Old village storefronts are a vanishing breed, This sturdy commercial structure was once Harry Hart’s butcher shop and later Lawrence Naish’s egg-grading station. The early frame structure, now missing its shady verandah and roofline bracketing, recalls a ...
    ImageText     Cobourg Daily Star, Saturday, May 25, 2002 Sketch and text by Barry King "Old village storefronts are a vanishing breed, This sturdy commercial structure was once Harry Hart’s butcher shop ...
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit