-BOWSLAUGH -- Entered into rest
on Sunday morning, Nov. 18, 1923, at
the residence of his daughter, Mrs.
M. S. Phelps, E. W. Bowslaugh, in
his 81st year. Funeral from the
above address. Interment at the
PIER AT BEACH
One of North Grimsby's oldest citi-
zens, in the person of E. W. Bowslaugh,
passed away on Sunday mom-
ing, November 18th, 1923, at the home
of his daughter, Mrs. M. S. Phelps,
Main street west, Grimsby, in his 81st
The late E. W. Bowslaugh was born
on the old Bowslaugh homestead, at
Rock Chapel, on the Ridge Road,
North Grimsby and was the son of
the late Jacob Bowslaugh, a United
Empire Loyalist settler.
The deceased gentleman had four
brothers, John B., William, Harvey
and James, all now deceased, and two
sisters, Mrs. Wm. Nixon, of Simcoe,
and Mrs. Robt. Nixon, now deceased.
The late E. W. Bowslaugh com-
menced business as a contractor and
builder at Grimsby Park, nearly six-
ty years ago. He built the pier and
the first cottage that was built at
Grimsby Park and built, probably,
half of the older cottages in the
Park. Later he built a planing mill
and sash and door factory and engag-
ed extensively in the lumber busi-
ness. About thirty-five years ago
he sold out his business to the late
Daniel Marsh and moved to Kings-
viLle. Twenty-eight years ago he
returned to North Grimsby and com-
menced farming on the old Bows-
laugh homestead, where he was born.
There he lived and took an active in-
terest in affairs up to within a year
of his death when failing health ren-
dered him less active.
In early life he married Mary
Southward, who predeceased him
He is survived by two sons, Free-
man and John J., both on the old
homestead, and two daughters, Mrs.
M. S. Phelps, Grimsby and Mrs. W.
R. Budge, Hamilton.
The deceased gentleman was a
strong Methodist and took an active
part in church work right up to a
short time previous to his death. In
politics he was a staunch liberal. He
had thirteen grand children and two
great grand children.
The funeral took place from the
residence of Mr. and Mrs. Phelps,
Tuesda yafternoon to the Fifty church
cemetery, Winona. The Rev. Mr.
Kerush, Hamilton and the Rev. Mr.
Dilts, of Rock Chapel circuit, officiat-
ed. The music was in charge of two
grandsons by marriage, Mr. George
Sweet and Mr. T. L. Dymond. A large
number of relatives and old friends
were in attendance.