Resort Fire Swept


Description
Full Text
RESORT FIRE SWEPT.


Grimsby Beach Loses Thirty-Eight Houses in Fire.

GRIMSBY BEACH Aug. 10 -- Thirty-eight houses were totally destroyed by fire yesterday afternoon as the result of the exploding of a gasoline stove in the home of W. Terryberry. A total loss of nearly $60,000 was entailed. The explosion occurred shortly before two o'clock, and in a little more than an hour the thirty-eight homes were burned to the gorund, despite the efforts of the cottagers to save them. Men, women and children -- worked heroically in attempting to stop the raging fire. The residents were successful in getting considerable of the household goods out of the building, but owing to the sparks most of this caught fire and was totally ruined. Luckily no one was seriously injured. Mrs. Terryberry, in whose home the fire started was slightly burned, and a young lad had his arm broken in jumping off a roof. Several men had a narrow escape when they climbed to the roofs of the buildings.

Media Type:
Text
Newspaper
Item Type:
Clippings
Description:
This is a newspaper article from the Owen Sound area with a short article on the devastating fire which occurred August 10, 1914 in Grimsby Beach.
Place of Publication:
Owen Sound, Ontario
Date of Original:
Aug. 10, 1914
Subject(s):
Personal Name(s):
Terryberry, W.
Local identifier:
2010-30-02-133
Language of Item:
English
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    fltLatitude: 44.56717
    Latitude: 44.56717 Longitude: -80.94349
Donor:
Grimsby Historical Society Archives
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Location of Original:
Grimsby Historical Society Archives
Contact
Grimsby Chautauqua
Email
WWW address
Agency street/mail address

18 Carnegie Lane
Grimsby, ON L3M 1Y1
905.945.5142

Resort Fire Swept
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Resort Fire Swept


This is a newspaper article from the Owen Sound area with a short article on the devastating fire which occurred August 10, 1914 in Grimsby Beach.