Page 143: Arthurs, John J.
- Full Text
Five Lindsay Brothers are in the Armed Services
Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Arthurs Welcome Home Sailor Son. Other Four Scattered Here and There.
Not so many parents can boast of five sons in the armed forces, but such is the splendid record of five Lindsay young men, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Arthurs, 22 Regent St., town.
Mr. and Mrs. Arthurs were overjoyed recently when their sailor son, Clarence, arrived home with his fiancée, Miss Audrey Flynn, of Peterboro [Peterborough], on H.M.C.S. Woodstock from service on the Mediterranean and at Gibraltar.
His sister, Agatha, and Mrs. Clark Arthurs of Orillia, with her two sons were also present on this happy occasion.
The other brothers in the services are: Clark with the 4th L.A.A. Reg’t.; Basil with 23Bty, 2nd Anti-tank; Bernard with S.D. & G. Highlanders and John who arrived in England last December. His unit is not known to the family at present.
- Media Type
- Genealogical Resource
- Item Types
- John Arthurs enlisted in Toronto, April 1942. He took his basic training in Quebec and Petawawa. He arrived in England December 21, 1942, and went to Italy in November 1943. Sgt. John is with the Royal Canadian Artillery.
This card is part of a larger collection of World War II personnel clippings. The project began in 1944 at the Lindsay Library. The intent was to gather together as much information as possible on the military record and the service of people from the Town of Lindsay and the County of Victoria (now Kawartha Lakes)who served in the war. To that end, during the years 1944, 1945, and 1946, members of the public donated photographs and updated information about their loved ones. Both library staff and the public saved and donated newspaper clippings. Some of the files contain great amounts of detail, while others have just a name.
- Personal Name(s)
- Bernard Arthurs ; Basil Arthurs ; John Arthurs ; Clarence Arthurs ; Clark Arthurs ; Hugh Arthurs
- World War II Service Files
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.35012 Longitude: -78.73286
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Kawartha Lakes Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address190 Kent St W.
Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y6