Page 169: Baber, George
- Full Text
August 23, 1944 GEORGE BABER IN HOSPITAL WITH WOUNDS
Lindsay Boy was Fireman on the C.N.R. – Overseas Short Time.
Mrs. George Baber, 72 Albert St. South, Lindsay, received notification that her husband, Pte. George Barber, had been wounded, while serving in France, Aug. 8th being the date of the casualty. He was admitted to the hospital, suffering from head and shoulder wounds.
Pte. Baber is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Baber, 118 Glenelg St. His father is a veteran of World War No. 1, in which he also suffered wounds.
George Baber was born and raised in Lindsay, attending school here. Before enlisting he worked as fireman on the Canadian National Railway. He received his basic training at Peterboro in ’41; was transferred to Petawawa, to Debert and to Newfoundland. While stationed with the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, he sailed overseas on July 4th of this year and had been in England about two weeks when he joined in the invasion in France.
Mrs. Baber was formerly Miss Jessie McNevin in Reaboro.
- Media Type
- Genealogical Resource
- Item Types
- George Baber enlisted January 8, 1941. He took his training at Peterborough, Petawawa and Debert (N.S.). He was transferred to St. John’s, Newfoundland, where he spent two years. He arrived in England July 4, 1944 and went to France in August 1944, serving with the North Shore Regiment.
- This card is part of a larger collection of World War II personnel clippings. The project began in 1944 at the Lindsay Library. The intent was to gather together as much information as possible on the military record and the service of people from the Town of Lindsay and the County of Victoria (now Kawartha Lakes)who served in the war. To that end, during the years 1944, 1945, and 1946, members of the public donated photographs and updated information about their loved ones. Both library staff and the public saved and donated newspaper clippings. Some of the files contain great amounts of detail, while others have just a name.
- Date of Publication
- 23 Aug 1944
- Personal Name(s)
- George Baber ; Arthur Baber ; Mrs. G. Baber ; Jessie Baber ; Jessie McNevin
- World War II Service Files
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.35012 Longitude: -78.73286
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Kawartha Lakes Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address190 Kent St W.
Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y6