Page 237: Barkwell, Ronald
- Media Type
- Genealogical Resource
- Item Type
- Ronald Barkwell of Kinmount Ontario, enlisted in the Canadian Army during the third month of the war (1939). He joined the 45th Battery as a Gunner and received promotions to Bombardier and Sergeant before leaving Canada in November 1941. Sgt. Barkwell went through a long and arduous training period in Southern England. Tired of the inactivity, he asked to be allowed to go to Italy and after several delays left England at the end of February 1944.
Sgt. Barkwell is still serving in Italy. He was at Ortona and has seen some heavy artillery action. Several attempts to relegate Sgt. Barkwell to an instructing post have been unsuccessful as he means to serve in the front lines – his age (36 years) may prevent him from serving in the field much longer – September 1944.
Sgt. Barkwell transferred to the 7th Field Regiment, 8the Field Rgt. And 17th Field Rgt.
Sgt. Barkwell arrived home on July 12, 1945. He was given his discharge on 2 October 1945.
Sgt. Barkwell whose home address is Haliburton was prior to the war engaged in the grocery business.
- Date of Publication
- Personal Name(s)
- Ronald Barkwell ; Jim Definney
- World War II Service Files
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.78342 Longitude: -78.64957
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Kawartha Lakes Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address190 Kent St W.
Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y6