Page 22: Blakely, Lawson
- Full Text
December 26, 1945
LINDCRAFTONE OF THE TOWN'S NEWEST INDUSTRIES – ALREADY DOING BUSINESS
The latest industry in Lindsay worthy of publicity, is that of Lindcraft, located at 82 Wellington St., the owners being Messrs. Milford Sleep and Lawson Blakely.
According to the business letterhead used by the new firm these young men have established a place of business for the manufacture of Toys, Novelties and Wood Specialties.
Both are expert craftsmen learning the business in their early youth as lads attending school, when they had their own work benches in the cellars of their respective homes and carried on communication by means of a home made transmitting radio set.
With the coming of World War No. 2 Milford Sleep for a time was employed with Victory Aircraft in Toronto and later taken on as an expert at the Lindsay Arsenal, while Lawson Blakely became one of the foremost in the heroic group of transatlantic radio operators of the Ferry Command. He had two years previous experience as a radio operator on Merchant Marine, and in seven years he has visited practically every country in Europe.
Many friends will wish these two young men every success in their new undertaking.
- Media Type
- Genealogical Resource
- Item Types
- This card is part of a larger collection of World War II personnel clippings. The project began in 1944 at the Lindsay Library. The intent was to gather together as much information as possible on the military record and the service of people from the Town of Lindsay and the County of Victoria (now Kawartha Lakes)who served in the war. To that end, during the years 1944, 1945, and 1946, members of the public donated photographs and updated information about their loved ones. Both library staff and the public saved and donated newspaper clippings. Some of the files contain great amounts of detail, while others have just a name.
- Watchful Warder
- Date of Publication
- 26 Dec 1945
- Personal Name(s)
- Lawson Blakely ; Milford Sleep
- Corporate Name(s)
- Lindcraft ; Victory Aircraft
- World War II Service Files
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.355889054288 Longitude: -78.7447904656983
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Kawartha Lakes Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address190 Kent St W.
Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y6