Page 29: Bobcaygeon
- Full Text
August 17, 1944 Fallen Men of This War Are Honored
Bobcaygeon, August 17 (PNS) — A large crowd gathered at Verulam Cemetery recently where the graves of loved ones were decorated. Flowers used in the decoration were those from the District Flower Show.
Rev. P. C. Howard was [a] special speaker and suitable music was provided by Boys' Band.
Three large baskets of flowers were placed at the War Memorial in honour of our three boys who paid the supreme sacrifice: Frank Brooks, [Alex] Devitt and Jack Wright.
November 21, 1945 REMEMBRANCE SERVICES HELD AT 'CAYGEON
Bobcaygeon, Nov. 21 (Staff) — On Sunday, Nov. 11, under the auspices of the village and township councils and Ministerial Association, a very impressive Remembrance Day service was held at the Arena.
The veterans of the first and second World Wars and soldiers home on leave gathered at the market square and paraded to the rink, led by the band. Rev. J. Cathcart and Rev. P. C. Howard led in prayer and Rev. C. C. Miller read the Scripture lesson. Reeve H. J. Murphy read the names of the heroic dead of the village — Alex Devitt, Fred Devitt, Richard Dowding, Melville Gendron, John Kelso, Malcolm McIntyre, Donald Stewart, Floyd Watson and John Wright. The names of those of Verulam who gave their lives were read by Reeve Allan Thompson — Roy McCuIlum, Glenn Sheehey and Hall Thurston.
Two minutes' silence was observed and Last Post and Reveille sounded. The guest speaker Sqn. Leader Rev. Wilfred Butcher, was introduced by Rev. J. Cathcart.
A union service was held in the Presbyterian Church on Sunday evening, with Rev. P C. Howard, Rev. C. C. Miller and Rev. J. Cathcart taking part. Sqn. Leader Butcher was the guest speaker and special music was rendered by joint choirs of the three churches.
- Media Type:
- Genealogical Resource
- Item Types:
- Alexander Devitt: Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment, R.C.I.C., January 30, 1944
James Frederick Devitt: Royal Canadian Air Force, December 22, 1944
Richard Dowding: Royal Canadian Air Force, December 05, 1944
Melville Gendron: Royal Canadian Corps of Signals, Army, March 25, 1945
John Kelso: Royal Regiment of Canada, R.C.I.C., Army, August 24, 1944
Malcolm Mcintyre (Orville Malcolm Mcintyre): Royal Canadian Air Force, August 18, 1943
Floyd Watson: Royal Canadian Air Force, October 22, 1943
Glenn Sheehey: Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment, R.C.I.C., Army, January 24, 1945
Hall Thurston (Southey Hall Thurston): Regina Rifles, Army, August 12, 1944
- This card is part of a larger collection of World War II personnel clippings. The project began in 1944 at the Lindsay Library. The intent was to gather together as much information as possible on the military record and the service of people from the Town of Lindsay and the County of Victoria (now Kawartha Lakes) who served in the war. To that end, during the years 1944, 1945, and 1946, members of the public donated photographs and updated information about their loved ones. Both library staff and the public saved and donated newspaper clippings. Some of the files contain great amounts of detail, while others have just a name.
- Date of Publication:
- 11 Nov 1945
- Personal Name(s):
- Frank Brooks ; Alex Devitt ; Jack Wright ; Fred Devitt ; Richard Dowding ; Melville Gendron ; John Kelso ; Malcolm McIntyre ; Donald Stewart ; Floyd Watson ; John Wright ; Roy McCullum ; Glenn Sheehey ; Hall Thurston ; P.C. Howard ; J. Cathcart ; C.C. Miller ; Allan Thompson ; Wilfred Butcher
- World War II Service Files
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Kawartha Lakes Public Library
Agency street/mail address
190 Kent St W.
Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y6